Manipulating the lineup

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

The Biomechanical Man

Manipulating the lineup

PostSun Apr 24, 2016 9:22 am

Tonight my rightfielder is injured for one game and I want my DH to play RF for the first game. However the DH in the batting lineup is so weird, I don't know how to get this accomplished. Here is my lineup:
1. Marte - SS
2. Wright- 3B
3. Gutierrez - RF (Injured - 1 game)
4. Cruz - DH
5. Cespedes - LF

For the first game, I'd like
1. Marte - SS
2. Wright - 3B
3. Cruz - RF
4. Trumbo - DH
5. Cespedes - LF

If I set the Cruz as the backup for RF and the starting DH, I believe that Cruz will play DH for all games (not what I want when Gutierrez is injured). On the other hand, I believe if I set RF as Gutierrez with Cruz as backup and leave DH blank and batting fourth, it will play the right players, but Cruz-DH will drop to batting ninth. Correct?

Is there any way to get what I want above?

milleram

Re: Manipulating the lineup

PostSun Apr 24, 2016 2:08 pm

The only way I have got HAL to do anything close to what I want is leave the entire lineup blank below the spot you want the DH--say you want the DH 5th, but want the spot left open because the injury goes away after the 1st game in the next set.

Fill in the first 4 spots in the lineup and leave the rest blank. Usually HAL puts the best hitter 5th and gets the platoons correct and does a reasonable bottom of the order. I went with a team (below) with no 1b at all, and left 6 down blank all year--Hal put the guy I wanted (Young) at 1b and 6th, and also handled my cheap ss platoon correctly all season.

http://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1401292

STEVE F

PostSun Apr 24, 2016 2:18 pm

Miller is correct, that will work.

If it were me I don't sweat that one game. I make the lineup I want for games 2 and 3 and just let Trumbo stumble around the outfield for 1 game

The Biomechanical Man

PostSun Apr 24, 2016 3:58 pm

Thanks, guys. As it is just one game without Gutierrez (and one with, because of lefty/righty pitchers), I'm going to leave DH blank, batting fourth. I assume it'll choose the right DH, but slide him to the bottom.

It's annoying how the DH spot in the lineup has this glitch with backups.

milleram

PostSun Apr 24, 2016 4:35 pm

any open spot slides to the bottom of the order--(i guess that,s how they insure the pitcher bats ninth in no DH leagues), so somtimes you may need to leave 2 or 3 open spots when you have multiple long injuries.

sociophil

PostWed Apr 27, 2016 5:00 pm

and just let Trumbo stumble around the outfield for 1 game

or 162 if you are the orioles.

:oops:

Return to General Strategy