Defensive Ratings

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

Blue Crew

Defensive Ratings

PostFri Apr 15, 2016 10:25 pm

Slowly but surely getting back into SOM and would like a refresher. Where is the best location to find information regaring defensive ratings? Also, if there is a one stop shop to read about the various ratings for offense as well, a point in the right direction would be appreciated.

Thanks,

BC

milleram

Re: Defensive Ratings

PostSun Apr 17, 2016 11:01 pm

I think the OF ratings are off except for the 1 rated fielders, the 2-5 rated OF are a bit worse in these ratings than I think they should be, the infielders are spot on though.

http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/btf ... atfldg.htm

tjbraun

PostTue May 10, 2016 3:42 pm

milleram...those ratings, when they say per game, do they take into account that each position has a different X chance on pitcher cards?

milleram

PostWed May 11, 2016 1:02 am

Yes they do take into account the fact that SS and 2B will get many more X chances than a LF or 1B.

I use the per game ratings---essentially it's the on base + total bases allowed per game in card chances by that defender.

remember that the defender is in the field for every opposing at bat, so for every 1 AB he gets--he faces 9 AB in the field by the opposition on average (depends where he hits in the order)

If you are familiar with the strat ratings guide, it gives you the offensive numbers for each player minus the ballpark effects.

Add OB and total bases, then subtract the per game fielding to get a true idea of what a weak hitting better fielder is worth compared to a lesser fielding more powerful hitter.

You can add the offensive numbers easily enough with the rating bars below the hitters bar--- OB is easy just add them all---- then add 1 for each single 2 for each 2B--etc. for Total bases (HBP needs to be added though--not on the bar rating)

Return to General Strategy