Ball park hits and HRs

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

fenders

Ball park hits and HRs

PostTue Mar 22, 2016 1:56 pm

I understand what they are. I'm not sure how they are relevant to my selecting a lineup, and evaluating the significance of the observed success/failure rate for both pitchers and hitters.

freeman

Re: Ball park hits and HRs

PostTue Mar 22, 2016 4:57 pm

Well, let's say you have a player who bats left-handed with 4 hr plus 7 bp hrs. In AT&T he will have 4.4 hr; in Great American he will 10.6. So in Great Americsn he will have a home run every 10 ab; in AT&T he will have a HR every 24 ab. So players who have that kind of extreme power distortion based on the ballpark are beneficial in high power parks and probably not wise to use in low hr parks. Pitchers with high WHIP but extremely low hr might be candidates for a low baserunner, high power park. And so on.

ScumbyJr

PostThu Mar 24, 2016 3:37 pm

fenders wrote:I understand what they are. I'm not sure how they are relevant to my selecting a lineup, and evaluating the significance of the observed success/failure rate for both pitchers and hitters.

They are a HUGE part of the online game (like it or not),

coyote303

PostFri Mar 25, 2016 7:50 pm

fenders wrote:I understand what they are. I'm not sure how they are relevant to my selecting a lineup, and evaluating the significance of the observed success/failure rate for both pitchers and hitters.

Here's one example of how BP HRs figured into my team.

I play in County Stadium in a 60s league. Homerun ballpark chances (#) have this success chance for my home games:

left-handed hitters = 5 percent chance of homerun
right-handed hitters = 40 percent chance of homerun

So, it's no coincidence my best power hitters (Stuart, Santo, Kaline) are right-handed hitters. Now I can't go with all right-handed hitters or opposing teams could take advantage of my team and start pitchers who are excellent against right-handed batters (e.g., 5R). So, I have some good left-handed batters, but they just don't happen to have much power. Another team in my league has a park that favors left-handed power hitters, so he has more left-handed batters on his team.

It's a balancing act between wanting to tailor my team to the strengths of my ballpark, while keeping some semblance of balance.

fenders

PostFri Mar 25, 2016 10:23 pm

I understand where the % are derived from the ballpark HR rating of 1/20 or 8/20. (Coyotes County Stadium example). I think my confusion comes from not understanding how it is computed differently for # or no # symbol preceding HR. I see #HR on my pitchers cards with number ranges following. i.e. 1-7 8-20. I assumed that was related to ballpark. I also see these same numbers following HRs with no # An A.J.Burnett 2002 card for example.

freeman

PostSat Mar 26, 2016 12:54 pm

The results on the card already there for BP singles and hr are ignored. Let's say you have a player with 8 BP hr on his card. On some of those he might have outs on them, he might have a HR. It doesn't matter. In the on-line game the player has 8 BP hr and you look at the park to determine result. Ignore the previous result listed next to the BP symbol on the card--they are completely irrelevant.

fenders

PostSat Mar 26, 2016 1:15 pm

freeman wrote:The results on the card already there for BP singles and hr are ignored. Let's say you have a player with 8 BP hr on his card. On some of those he might have outs on them, he might have a HR. It doesn't matter. In the on-line game the player has 8 BP hr and you look at the park to determine result. Ignore the previous result listed next to the BP symbol on the card--they are completely irrelevant.

Thank you! I am now enlightened. Had a successful first season and could never figure out exactly why my players were more or less successful than expected.

paul8210

PostSat May 14, 2016 1:55 pm

If the stat sheet shows a player had one ballpark effect homer opportunity and was successful, does that mean the homerun must have come off of the hitter's card, rather than the pitcher's card? Or would the homer be reflected twice on the stat sheet for both the hitter and the pitcher, regardless of whose card it came off of?

coyote303

PostMon May 16, 2016 12:30 am

paul8210 wrote:If the stat sheet shows a player had one ballpark effect homer opportunity and was successful, does that mean the homerun must have come off of the hitter's card, rather than the pitcher's card? Or would the homer be reflected twice on the stat sheet for both the hitter and the pitcher, regardless of whose card it came off of?

Since W/W hitters will show up with BP HR chances (which, of course, all fail) on the Sim Misc. tab, I assume all BP HR rolls are recorded for both the hitter and the pitcher (regardless of success).

Return to General Strategy