SORE LOSER

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

fenders

Re: SORE LOSER

PostTue Mar 22, 2016 12:33 pm

STEVE F wrote:I honestly think they are doing their image more harm than good by offering only a 21 game free trial.

I agree. They should post up a few canned games to watch. Ruth hits a home run, batting champ gets a couple singles, Nolan beans somebody and they are injured, and a high end closer strikes out the side for an 8-7 win. A paid real season will give a far more realistic picture. Charge $9.95 or whatever for one season so they judge a real season without excessively ridiculous outcomes.

coyote303

Re: SORE LOSER

PostFri Mar 25, 2016 8:11 pm

I'm not sure any baseball simulation game like SOM is right for the OP. While SOM's game engine has a few weaknesses, the game engine is a really good one--arguably the best of any game of its type.

In the short run, good pitchers can do poorly. Streaks are normal both for players and teams. Also, when the talent level is increased across the board (as is the case in any but $60 million cap leagues), all players on average will do worse than their real-life stats. If you have a team of Babe Ruths facing a team of Sandy Koufaxes, it's mathematically impossible for them to duplicate their real-life stats. Extreme ballparks can increase this effect.

Now what I just described is true for any game similar to SOM, as well as SOM. What's even more important, is it's also true for real-life teams! There will be streaks, slumps, triumphs, and frustrations throughout the season whether you are playing a tabletop game or managing a real-life major league franchise.
Previous

Return to General Strategy