Help Understanding Base Stealing

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

AndrewD

Help Understanding Base Stealing

PostSat Feb 27, 2016 9:45 am

Need some help here...I will leave Running for a different thread as what's got me frustrated this morning is Stealing (though equally challenging to understand). Can someone help me understand why Ichiro hit into a double play in the bottom of the 3rd? Wiggins on first, *18, strategy set on Aggressive Steals. 1-8 gba+ vs. a lefty resulting into a double play. Why wasn't that a single 2 base? http://365.strat-o-matic.com/game/playbyplay/428833/208

Based upon what I have seen so far this season (I am new to Online) I will draft differently next time - any additional thoughts on the team are appreciated!

milleram

Re: Help Understanding Base Stealing

PostSat Feb 27, 2016 5:10 pm

super advanced rules do not use GBa+---and online, while not using all the SA rules, does use this one.

When a runner is held there are two fielders responsible for holding him, the 1B and either the 2B or SS depending on which side the batter hits from---the way SA rules deal with this is when a GBx is hit to one of the responsible fielders, the range goes up 1 (so a 1 fielder becomes a 2, etc) and 4 extra single chances are added.

Effectively-- a 1 infielder that is responsible for holding the runner becomes a 4 in terms of Singles allowed, but a 2 in terms of Double plays turned off the x-chart. (it can be a 3B if holding a runner on second)

A gba+ is just another gba with these rules.

AndrewD

PostSat Feb 27, 2016 6:08 pm

Thanks Milleram! Serves me right for drafting a team at 'face value'. Next time I will read the rules :D All those Single** are also turning our to be running decisions as well. Now I have a little better understanding as to why people draft so much power...

MARCPELLETIER

PostMon Feb 29, 2016 2:12 pm

All those Single** are also turning our to be running decisions as well. Now I have a little better understanding as to why people draft so much power...

Seems to me that the right conclusion is the contrary: the online game allows speed to be an important weapon, more important than by the advanced rules that govern many face-to-face leagues.

Read that line again from Milleram:
a 1 infielder that is responsible for holding the runner becomes a 4 in terms of Singles allowed, but a 2 in terms of Double plays turned off the x-chart.

To have both a 1b-1 and a ss-1 losing almost 50% of gbA and allows 30% more hits....it's a huge decrease for the defense, maybe not as impactful as losing a gbA+ chance at 7, but not far behind.

AndrewD

PostMon Feb 29, 2016 9:35 pm

Something to wrap my head around! It's early yet in my online career, however it seems that the small ball game is much more 'complicated', though not impossible to win at. It may be tough when 3/4 of the league is homer friendly, but I think it's worth finding the right balance.

Thanks for your feedback.

milleram

PostTue Mar 01, 2016 3:18 am

I took a look at your team---I play so little ATG my advise is probably suspect, but the weak 4th starter on a small-ball team is probably not good, otherwise it looks Ok to me--the first 3 Starters are great--run them into the ground--say F4 or F3 with quick hook--set you relief to conservative and closer to regular--the relive staff is not good enough to cover that 4th starter.

Obviously with a small ball team you want OB pct and speed--I am not familiar with ATG enough to know if your hitters/pitchers are all good values--If you can get advice from Steve F eat it up--I hope he don't mind my posting one of his teams for you to take a look at.

http://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1410157

Also I would set Stealing at normal and running aggressive. Check the guys you want to "steal more" in hitters prefs, and guys like Chipper set to do not steal--he will get picked off more often than he gets a lead (and pickoffs do not count as a caught stealing)--even with the 20-6 it's not worth trying to steal when only a 2 gets the lead (1 in 36 odds)

STEVE F

PostTue Mar 01, 2016 11:49 am

You have some nice pieces, but Miller is right. I don't think you can get away with Sadecki as 4th SP. Nied-a -Homer is a bum. I don't see how you can fix it. Maybe cut Niedenfuer for a .50 guy and find one more cut in your offense to upgrade Sadecki. If you want to avoid your pen all your SP's have to be S9 though.

AndrewD

PostTue Mar 01, 2016 4:14 pm

Thanks for your feedback guys! I am chalking this season up to a learning/experiment curve after some other changes and will institute some of the recommendations next go around...

STEVE F

PostThu Mar 03, 2016 6:37 pm

Also, I value baserunning more than base stealing. Here's a new team with 4 Sp S9's that just cleared waivers

http://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1421656

Return to General Strategy