Frustrated need answers !!!

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

CDonaldson83

Frustrated need answers !!!

PostWed Feb 03, 2016 1:24 pm

So i am a bit dumbfounded. How does the game figure out who wins and loses. In my league I drafted Kershaw he is now 0-1 after 2 starts. The toughest hitter he faced in my 2 games he pitched was Adrian Gonzalez. like seriously Cody Ashe hit a 2 run bomb off of him. Not to mention in my 2 games Kershaw leads the league with 17 hits against him while Doug Fister has only allowed 8 hits in 2 games.

I guess i'm glad its a free league and not for money or i'd be extremely angry.

andycummings65

Re: Frustrated need answers !!!

PostWed Feb 03, 2016 2:57 pm

Well, that's a really small sample size. It's a long season, I'm sure Kershaw will turn it around. If you only look at his two bad starts against the Cardinals in the playoffs, you could surmise that Kershaw isn't any good. There are 29 other MLB teams that I'm sure would like to have him.

jrb16915

PostWed Feb 03, 2016 5:56 pm

How many of the hits came on pitcher rolls and how many came on hitter rolls. If its a hitter roll it doesn't matter who is on the mound.

milleram

PostWed Feb 03, 2016 6:55 pm

I assume, since it is a free league, that you are new, and it is a short league too. (not 162 games)

#1 Kershaw (or any pitcher in these strat leagues) is facing generally better hitting overall, than in actual play.

#2 all low HR allowed pitchers tend to give up more HR than actual, because most managers pick high HR parks and guys that hit more HR---(all rolls with a # sign is possible ballpark HR) (check the ballparks in your league for BP singles and BP HR. ( > and # signs on some rolls) The online version uses these rules, if you play the CD-rom or board game you can ignore BP HR if you wish and go with the printed results.

#3 hitters should be below their actual numbers for the same reason---they are facing generally better pitching overall than actual, so it works both ways

expect ERA's to be .75 to 1 run higher than actual, and hitters to be down for both Batting and Slugging avg.

That said, this applies to all pitchers and hitters, and Kershaw should do better than most all other Starting pitchers. Since it is a short league the overall stats may not have time to stabilize.

milleram

PostWed Feb 03, 2016 7:10 pm

Here is a link to one of my teams where Wheeler won the most games for me during the regular season, yet he was 0-2 with a 50+ ERA in the post-season---also in the regular season Trout and Stanton were down in Avg and power---and Herrera was way over his stats (he only played vs RH) this team won but was probably not the best team--in happens.

I gave up 173 HRs too--but it was a high HR park.

Carrasco was 2-7 and I dropped him for Shoemaker, and Ramirez for McHenry--and started winning.

(look at players no longer on the team)

http://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/sim/1412586

Here is another earlier team where Carrasco won 20-- and was almost untouchable---and why I had him on the team above--it can be frustrating for sure sometimes.

http://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1408035

Radagast Brown

PostThu Feb 04, 2016 1:54 pm

Patience . People who win at this game have patience. Kershaw will never replicate his real life stats because he is facing tougher lineups. But with a bit of patience he can have a good season for you. Good luck!

ScumbyJr

PostThu Feb 04, 2016 2:47 pm

CDonaldson83 wrote:So i am a bit dumbfounded. How does the game figure out who wins and loses. In my league I drafted Kershaw he is now 0-1 after 2 starts. The toughest hitter he faced in my 2 games he pitched was Adrian Gonzalez. like seriously Cody Ashe hit a 2 run bomb off of him. Not to mention in my 2 games Kershaw leads the league with 17 hits against him while Doug Fister has only allowed 8 hits in 2 games.

I guess i'm glad its a free league and not for money or i'd be extremely angry.

Click on Sim Misc. tab. You will see the roll count for Kershaw is 37 hitter 28 pitcher, a 56%-44% bias. That's a good part of the reason.

Return to General Strategy