Does HAL not have a brain?

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

FALCON29

Does HAL not have a brain?

PostSat Dec 19, 2015 10:58 am

Bottom of the 7th, down 3-2, man on first with one out. John Cerutti is brought in to pitch to Darrel Porter who doesn’t hit lefties well at all. HAL counters with pinch-hitter Mickey Hatcher who grounds into a double play to end the inning.

Now is where the fun starts. Instead of just inserting backup C Jim Sundberg in for Hatcher, HAL decides to leave Hatcher in the game in RF, move starting RF Larry Parrish to 3B, and in order to get Sundberg into the lineup, HE REMOVES THE LEAGUE’S LEADING HITTER, WADE BOGGS! (This is game 112, and Boggs is batting .382 at the time.)

On what planet does this make any sense? A 4-year-old wouldn’t have come up with this. What complete nonsense!

FALCON29

Re: Does HAL not have a brain?

PostSun Dec 20, 2015 9:14 am

FALCON29 wrote:Bottom of the 7th, down 3-2, man on first with one out. John Cerutti is brought in to pitch to Darrel Porter who doesn’t hit lefties well at all. HAL counters with pinch-hitter Mickey Hatcher who grounds into a double play to end the inning.

Now is where the fun starts. Instead of just inserting backup C Jim Sundberg in for Hatcher, HAL decides to leave Hatcher in the game in RF, move starting RF Larry Parrish to 3B, and in order to get Sundberg into the lineup, HE REMOVES THE LEAGUE’S LEADING HITTER, WADE BOGGS! (This is game 112, and Boggs is batting .382 at the time.)

On what planet does this make any sense? A 4-year-old wouldn’t have come up with this. What complete nonsense!

last night in game 121 HAL did it again. In the bottom of the 7th he's removed Sundberg for PH Dave Collins, but when the inning ended he left Collins in the game in RF, and pulled RF Larry Parrish to get C Darrel Porter in the lineup.

It seems as if HAL is programmed to keep PH in the game at all costs. Have any of you noticed this? Is there a way in the team settings to turn it off that I'm missing?

paul8210

PostSun Dec 20, 2015 12:30 pm

I wrote the game company about this problem a couple of years ago with similar examples, but, got no response.
Last edited by paul8210 on Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

STEVE F

PostSun Dec 20, 2015 12:40 pm

List Boggs, Parish , Sundberg and someone else? as defensive replacements

milleram

PostSun Dec 20, 2015 1:35 pm

Short of setting your complete lineup as do not PH for both L/R, I know of no way to prevent this. If a no-DH team it will still happen with the PH for pitcher and weird double switches that make no logical since. The Double switches that should be made never are.

Often I have to dump subs that Hal makes weird double switches with.

With the 2012 set I had a no-DH team with Altuve and Cano platooning. Both lead off, frequently HAL would PH for the pitcher with Cano when a RH relief came in for a LH starter, never once did Cano go to second and the pitcher go into Altuve's spot (even though Altuve had hit in the same inning also).

arslen

PostMon Jan 11, 2016 9:30 pm

retraction... infield was in flyballB becomes single
Last edited by arslen on Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arslen

PostTue Jan 12, 2016 1:10 am

out field was in flyballB becomes single
Last edited by arslen on Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

andycummings65

PostTue Jan 12, 2016 1:13 am

He does have courage and a heart though.

coolhandlewke

PostFri Jan 15, 2016 2:30 pm

hal, hal, hal, you're killing me. my team is in a horrible funk. 8 straight losses, the last 4 I've led in the 9th only to allow a dinger. in the last game I lead off the 10th with 2 walks. the next batter is my A level bunting catcher. he always sacrifices with no one out. what does hal do? a failed double steal, then the survivor gets picked off. that would be 2 baserunners looking for jobs on my virtual franchise. unfortunately we can't fire hal. I picture him like al davis in his track suit, watching from his suite all the madness he concocts. :twisted:

FALCON29

PostThu Feb 04, 2016 8:12 am

coolhandlewke wrote:Unfortunately we can't fire HAL. I picture him like Al Davis in his track suit, watching from his suite all the madness he concocts. :twisted:

Now THAT'S an image I won't be able to shake! :lol:
Next

Return to General Strategy