Relief Pitching

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

pmtwarynski

Relief Pitching

PostTue Dec 08, 2015 5:55 pm

I have my starting pitchers set to max 6 innings and on quick, but the computer still seems to have them pitching a lot of complete games. And they are tired in ate innings and pitch poorly when fatigued. How do I make it so my relievers get in the game more?

Perry Twarynski...Just want to learn to be more competitive. Thanks for all the previous help. Really like this game

Garyt

Re: Relief Pitching

PostTue Dec 08, 2015 7:40 pm

Jo expert myself by any means, rather new to the game. But what were your settings for pitcher prefs and team strategy? I go agressive with relief usage in strategy.

I use a quick hook on any OK or worse pitchers, and a slow hook on an ace that is better than my closer at full strength.

This seems to have resulted in more calls to the bullpen, but my ace(s) still pitch CG's reasonably often.

STEVE F

PostTue Dec 08, 2015 8:11 pm

Weird. If they're set to max 6 innings, they should never be pitching in the 7th

MARCPELLETIER

PostTue Dec 08, 2015 11:43 pm

Don't forget that relievers need rest after two games---or after three games if they were used for only a few pitches. Otherwise, it Could be the consequnce of having your relievers set as "avoid lh" or "avoid rh"...if a switch hitter is the first hitter, there's no one Hal can turn to, and then the instruction is "forgotten".

coyote303

PostWed Dec 09, 2015 5:31 am

pmtwarynski wrote:I have my starting pitchers set to max 6 innings and on quick, but the computer still seems to have them pitching a lot of complete games. And they are tired in ate innings and pitch poorly when fatigued. How do I make it so my relievers get in the game more?

Perry Twarynski...Just want to learn to be more competitive. Thanks for all the previous help. Really like this game

I'll bet you have "don't relieve before" F-setting to something besides blank. Leave this setting blank for pitchers you want relieved. For starters, I only set it to F8 for my very best pitchers, and all other starters I leave it blank.

milleram

PostWed Dec 09, 2015 4:23 pm

In my experience so far (about 3 years---60 teams or so)

If you use the F settings, (F6 for example) Hal will always override the max 6 or max 7 innings and the starters will go until the F rating you set is reached---so leave the F settings blank if you want max 6 innings.

Also, in my experience, Hal will always pull them after 6 innings with the F settings blank and a max 6 setting, even if all your relievers are tired and enter the game fatigued--so best to have only a couple guys at max 6 (and I like them to be staggered in the rotation, not back to back) unless you have a very strong pen.

Radagast Brown

PostSun Dec 13, 2015 11:41 pm

Unless a starting pitcher is very bad or a spot starter why would you EVER check the box, "Remove After 6 innings"? Keep in mind I have seen Perry's team and it is not like he has any super relievers, let alone three of them. I like Perry and I am trying to help him figure out the Mystery game.... Thanks for the help fellas...

I think for the most part the "Remove After 6" box is for people who are strict usage leagues, or leagues where you are forced to use some real stinkers at starting pitcher....Because if you are up 12 to 1 why would you want to have your starting pitcher removed , automatically after 6 or 7 innings? I don't think it is very smart anyway, unless of course you are using super relievers or have some real stinkers in your stable. Maybe Perry is referring to a different team in a different league. Good luck Perry and keep asking these guys questions!

coyote303

PostMon Dec 14, 2015 4:10 am

Radagast Brown wrote:Unless a starting pitcher is very bad or a spot starter why would you EVER check the box, "Remove After 6 innings"? Keep in mind I have seen Perry's team and it is not like he has any super relievers, let alone three of them. I like Perry and I am trying to help him figure out the Mystery game.... Thanks for the help fellas...

I think for the most part the "Remove After 6" box is for people who are strict usage leagues, or leagues where you are forced to use some real stinkers at starting pitcher....Because if you are up 12 to 1 why would you want to have your starting pitcher removed , automatically after 6 or 7 innings? I don't think it is very smart anyway, unless of course you are using super relievers or have some real stinkers in your stable. Maybe Perry is referring to a different team in a different league. Good luck Perry and keep asking these guys questions!

Some (most?) of my teams have at least one cheap starter (by choice) and a couple of good relievers. So, I use the remove after 6/7 boxes routinely.

Return to General Strategy