Closer strategies

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

Rosie2167

Closer strategies

PostThu Oct 15, 2015 4:11 pm

I have all sorts of challenges tweaking HAL so that my closer comes in in what I would consider ideal closing situations, especially with stud SP's. With the likes of Maddux, Brown, Mathewson...I typically set the Fatigue to f4 or in that range as I want them to outlast any bumps, so I realize that's my problem. But when you also have Gagne for example, his numbers are much better and if I had a button that said 'Pitch the 9th with a lead of 3 or less runs everytime' I'd abuse it.

Anyone have any luck triggering a top closer to come in for stud SP's?

tks
R

milleram

Re: Closer strategies

PostThu Oct 15, 2015 11:47 pm

The best way to get your stud closer in games is:

#1 use closer roll on the very top of your bullpen roll list.

#2 in team strategy, set closer to maximize.

#3 not sure about this, as I play little ATG, therefore little experience with 8 or 9 inning starters, but set starters to F8. (or maybe no F setting at all)---I know, with 20xx teams, the F settings over-ride the max 6 or 7 inning starts--if you set 6 or 7 inning max, do not set the F ratings, as the pitcher will stay in until he gets to the Fatigue level you set.

So (I Guess) do not set 9 inning starters lower than F8 if you want your stud closer in the game as soon as possible, 9 inning guys will not start tiring until the 9th anyway--(to be honest I still would set a Maddux type to a lower F rating--your closer needs a rest every so often anyway, no matter how good he is)

Edit per Ursoid below----Yes, set the Quick Hook. I forgot to add that--I always use Quick Hook with any F setting.
Last edited by milleram on Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rosie2167

PostFri Oct 16, 2015 1:19 pm

thanks milleram

#1 and 2 is my default now so check those boxes

I see the no F setting at all as risky as typically my bullpen outside of the closer are all in the $1mil range and heavy BAL one way or the other. So I don't want to see a rally motivate HAL to pull one of the SP's before the 7th.

To your point, I have started to play with using the F8 setting as it seems that's the best compromise, but HAL still keeps the SP's in longer than I would. Ultimately I think a few more controls is the answer, like a 8 inning max with options around your lead.

Tks!
R

Ursoid

PostFri Oct 16, 2015 7:24 pm

You might try combining F8 with Quick Hook - that should get the starter out as soon as he starts to fade.

Rosie2167

PostThu Oct 22, 2015 2:36 pm

Thanks Ursoid - trying your suggestion now.

Return to General Strategy