DP and Clutch - Does it matter that much?

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

bcousy57

Re: DP and Clutch - Does it matter that much?

PostWed Feb 10, 2016 5:57 pm

For a fun experiment, I fielded an ATG team recently with only positive clutch players (and 1 defenders, but that's immaterial). The team made the playoffs as a wild card in a 24-team league and was bounced in the semis. I just did it for the heck of it, and I'm not sure what I was expecting, but the final tally was 25 clutch hits for the season versus (of course) no clutch outs. (Alas, no clutch hits in the playoffs.) The squad: http://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1415172

MARCPELLETIER

PostFri Feb 12, 2016 12:02 am

Cool team.

Doby ++10!!

looking at your pythag record, you seem to have hit clutch singles in useless situations and failed when it counted --orcelse you had bad luck in some other way

bcousy57

PostSat Feb 13, 2016 1:44 pm

MARCPELLETIER wrote:Cool team.

Doby ++10!!

looking at your pythag record, you seem to have hit clutch singles in useless situations and failed when it counted --orcelse you had bad luck in some other way

Thanks. Yes, Doby was ridiculous. I think he batted fifth most of the time, if memory serves. Makes me want to grab him again.

I think the team had its flaws and wasn't championship-caliber, but was a tad unlucky -- 22-35 in one-run games (1-0 in playoffs). Offense went quiet in playoffs, scoring only seven runs in their six playoff losses.

A better formula would be to load up with OBP and speed at the top of the lineup so that more clutch situations would arise for the 3-4-5 guys. I think there just weren't enough clutch opportunities created by this bunch (all those 1s eat up salary that could go to OBP).

Radagast Brown

PostWed Feb 24, 2016 11:42 pm

I don't think clutch matters much but a ton of double plays on a batter's card does matter... I really think they should do away with the clutch option. I never use it when playing the CD-ROM.

ROBERTVOZZA

PostThu Mar 10, 2016 4:38 am

Except when I don't get players I want in the draft, I tend to try to avoid hitters with alot of GBA rolls on their cards - Especially in the top 6 in my lineup or with slow runners ahead of them. With fast runners ahead of gbA+ it results in a single** when holding runners on. I don't pay attention to clutch settings as they only come into play in the 9th inning with runners in scoring position. It doesn't hurt, but I don't think it has a huge affect over 162 games.

MARCPELLETIER

PostThu Mar 10, 2016 11:36 pm

Robert,

Clutch happens in any inning with two outs and men in scoring position.

And in superadvance mode, which is the mode we play here online, gbA+, even with a fast runner held, remains gbA. gbA+ becomes single** only if defense plays all-in. Instead, The effect of holding a runner applies on the defensive charts, but it is not related to whether an offensive player has gbA or not.
Previous

Return to General Strategy