2 QUESTIOS

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

pmtwarynski

2 QUESTIOS

PostThu Sep 24, 2015 10:38 pm

1 IS THERE ANY STRATEGY IN SETTING UP STARTING PITCHING?
2 SHOULD CERTAIN POSITIONS BE DRAFTED FIRST?

freeman

Re: 2 QUESTIOS

PostFri Sep 25, 2015 4:46 pm

Well, first thing you have to figure out where to draft sp* pitchers or not. The advantage of selecting these pitchers that can pitch on three-days rest is that you only need 4 pitchers and this saves money; the disadvantage is that you have to rank them higher in the draft, which means you can miss out on popular offensive players. probably want to spend around 32 million or so for pitching and you 're going to need 10 million or so for relief, so you can only generally spend in the low 20s on starting pitching. Of course managers adjust these parameters all the time successfully--these are just general parameters. If you have a ballpark. (Like Miller or Rogers) that gives up a lot of home runs you're probably going to want pitchers who don't give up many home runs. If your home ballpark gives up a lot of ballpark singles (Fenway) you might be concerned about pitchers who give up too many runners. You can get cheap pitchers for even less than a million who are very good against one side and you can pitch them against teams that overload and say bat at least 6 left- handlers or 6 right- handlers ( you will need more than five starters to do this so you can set down these one- sided starters against teams they don 't match up with ). You can go really cheap on pitching and go with a super- reliever strategy where you get a couple of really good R2s like Betances and Sanchez (with a good closer) and Hal,depending on your pitching setting, will probably put in your good relievers in the 5th inning if there is any trouble. You may not be as concerned about pitchers giving up hrs if your home ballpark is AT&T or you may get a pitcher who gives up hrs to use at home and get another pitcher for the road. Some lefties like Capuano or Garcia can be quite effective because they are good against righties but give up power to lefties and owners tend to not select for lefty vs lefty power and also if you have a pitcher's park you can minimize it. You can go with three really good starters and two cheap ones--there are all kinds of combinations you can try.

pmtwarynski

PostSat Sep 26, 2015 1:00 am

THANK YOU

coyote303

PostSat Sep 26, 2015 10:49 pm

pmtwarynski wrote:1 IS THERE ANY STRATEGY IN SETTING UP STARTING PITCHING?

1. Generally, you want four * starters or five non-* starters (i.e., don't mix them) for your rotation. There are some variations, but I don't recommend them for a newer manager.

2. Usually, higher priced players will go first in the draft. How deep a player pool is at any given position influences my choice. For example, in the 90s set there are lots of really good first baseman. So, I don't make that a priority in my draft order. Learning to draft well is more art than science that (IMHO) can only be learned by experience.

MARCPELLETIER

PostSat Sep 26, 2015 11:32 pm

Did you know that typing in capital letters means YOU'RE SCREAMING!!! (Otherwise, it's impolite!!!)

STEVE F

PostSat Sep 26, 2015 11:47 pm

MARCPELLETIER wrote:Did you know that typing in capital letters means YOU'RE SCREAMING!!! (Otherwise, it's impolite!!!)

There is a third possibility, but I'm not quite drunk and mean enough yet to post it :evil:

pmtwarynski

PostSun Sep 27, 2015 3:19 pm

THANK YOU FOR THE ADVICE ON STARTING PITCHING. AS FOR THE CAPITAL LETTER THING. I HAVE MULTIPLE SCEROSIS AND FIND IT EASIER TO TYPE EVERYTHING IN CAPITALS. SO I FIND IT JUST AS RUDE FOR YOUR COMMENTS.

MARCPELLETIER

PostSun Sep 27, 2015 10:32 pm

In this case, the polite thing to do, in my humble opinion, is to warn your new forum community that difficulties force you to type in capital letters. You didn't need to yield up details--a simple note to remove the misunderstanding you might create by keeping the silence and making it appear that you don't know the implicite rule of forum typing.

I think you'll find here a whole-hearted and understanding community here---And I speak from experience, since I got a lot of support from this community when my own health issues forced me to quit playing---but I do believe that, as you start to write in a new forum community,you must be aware that people will have expectations about the implicite rules of that forum typing.

Hopefully, you take my advice as a learning experience. Good strat!!!

pmtwarynski

PostMon Sep 28, 2015 1:12 am

I AM SORRY IF I OFFENDED ANYONE AS I DID NOT WANT TO. I WAS UNAWARE OF SUCH A THING IN TYPING IN CAPITAL LETTERS. I WAS FRUSTRATED I GUESS. I AM SORRY JUST Want PLAYING THIS GAME I AM SO TERRIBLE AT. I WILL TRY TO REMEMBER TO TYPE IN SMALL LETTERS NEXT TIME. PERRY

ScumbyJr

PostMon Sep 28, 2015 5:14 pm

pmtwarynski wrote:1 IS THERE ANY STRATEGY IN SETTING UP STARTING PITCHING?

When asking these types of questions it helps to say what players you are using 20XX,ATG, mystery leagues (60s,70s,80s,90) because the answer may be different for each one. Also the payroll may be different.
Also posting your questions in the appropriate player set forum will help get more responses.

1. Important considerations in setting up pitching
your ballpark
DH or no DH (you typically need a deeper better bullpen with no DH)
the payroll
If you spend a lot on starters you would not want to waste payroll in the bullpen

2. This is probably more important in 20XX and the mystery sets where certain positions have less good players.
Next

Return to General Strategy