Pitchers being removed after batting

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

johnmcd987

Pitchers being removed after batting

PostTue Aug 11, 2015 3:20 pm

I have noticed that my pitchers will be allowed to bat and then in the next inning they will be removed before facing any batters. In a normal game, if a manager was going to do this, they would pinch hit for the pitcher. I have both lefty and righty pinch hitters set up. Is there something else I need to do to ensure this does not happen in the future.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

John

STEVE F

Re: Pitchers being removed after batting

PostTue Aug 11, 2015 3:28 pm

I have noticed this as well, but from what I can see there is nothing you can do about it. Another reason why I prefer DH leagues

coyote303

PostTue Aug 11, 2015 6:02 pm

I remember seeing Clint Hurdle do this when he was manager of the Rockies. There were even runners on base.

I'm not saying that justifies HAL doing it; I thought it was stupid then too.

MARCPELLETIER

PostTue Aug 11, 2015 10:40 pm

Maybe i'm wrong, i haven't played no-dh league so much, but if you select the far right column on the pitcher preferrence page, either the 1-2 or 2-3 max column, I believe it removes the pitcher at the end of the half-inning and so I would expect a ph if the pitcher is due.

MARCPELLETIER

PostTue Aug 11, 2015 10:47 pm

Of course, works only with relievers. With starters, you would have to select the 6-inning max option.

milleram

PostThu Aug 13, 2015 3:32 am

It does not work correctly with the 6 inning max rule---I have set several pitchers 6 max over various teams, with home teams HAL will hit the pitcher in the bottom of the sixth and will not remove him till the top of the 7th---This is lazy and bad programming of the AI, there is no other way to describe it.

One of the reasons I say Hal tries to lose from ahead--Hal can't do a double switch with noDH teams and pitchers either.

I can easily see why most people prefer the DH online game, mostly because Hal has less to do, therefore can't screw it up as bad.

(All baseball purists know the DH is dumbed down baseball for the masses anyway) :roll:

The pitcher should be removed immediately after the 18th out is recorded, but no sub until the ab comes up (just the same way as an injury to a DH) or the 7th inning starts. (Or 8th if you set for max 7 innings)

Return to General Strategy