Game 1 vs. Kershaw

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

FFNogoodnik

Game 1 vs. Kershaw

PostMon Mar 09, 2015 7:30 pm

I have my first game of the season tonight. I am 99% sure my opponent for game 1 will be Clayton Kershaw.

My #1 starter is Felix Hernandez. Should I pitch Hernandez vs Kershaw or pitch my 4th starter, Tanner Roark against him?

My thinking would be that I might waste a Hernandez start if i pitch him against Kershaw.

Am i over thinking this?

Ursoid

Re: Game 1 vs. Kershaw

PostMon Mar 09, 2015 10:36 pm

Your number one is supposed to give you the best chance for a win - will your number four give you a better chance to beat Kershaw? Anyway, that's how I look at it - the game is a game, it's not a foregone conclusion that Kershaw will win every time he takes the mound. To me, thinking of "wasting" a start against him is self-defeating. Anyway, that's my two cents.

FFNogoodnik

PostTue Mar 10, 2015 8:42 am

Thanks for the reply. I ended up using my fourth and lost 3 to 2. I think it was worth a shot. If this were real and simulation there would be no question.

Again thanks for replying

J-Pav

PostThu Mar 19, 2015 12:37 am

I like what you did.

Look at it this way. For the sake of discussion, let's assume the entire league went with a conventional five man staff priced $6-5-4-3-2. All things being equal, assume any SP vs any another SP of the same price results in a draw. Each pitcher goes 15-15 on the season. But if you bump your $2 guy in the number one slot, your 6-5-4-3 now match up against everyone else's 5-4-3-2 for the entire season. You have an advantage in 80% of your pitching matchups (theoretically) throughout the rest of the season. Not to mention, run support typically goes higher as your batters face progressively less expensive pitching. :geek:

HOWEVER...

I've tried this lots of times in lots of ways with various twists and it almost never works out the way it should in theory. Other managers use four *SP staffs. Some use 6-7 man staffs with match-up pitchers. Some use low dollar staffs. Some use high dollar staffs.

I've found in my own experience, that if i just throw out my own $6-5-4-3-2 in order and on autopilot, it usually works out better for me.

Return to General Strategy