Which is more important, hitting or pitching?

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

Hank O

Which is more important, hitting or pitching?

PostTue Jan 06, 2015 3:48 pm

Depends on the ballpark, you say? I'm not so sure that's a good answer. I noticed 2 teams in the same ballpark--everybody's favorite, Forbes '57--in the same league with the same (well, 88 vs 89 wins) records that got there by very different approaches. Check out The Last Druid's Right Stuff and Morpheus's Stormin' Giants in this league ($80/NO):

http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/league/423758

Both playing in good old 17-17-1-1, but one spent $29.15/36% on pitching and the other $39.39/49%! Petro's team was #1 in hitting and #4 in pitching, while Morpheus's was #1 in pitching and DFL in hitting.

While this confuses rather than clarifies the question, it does teach me one thing: relief wins and saves are a lot cheaper than SP wins. Petro's starters got 3.5 wins for every dollar spent on them, while Morpheus's got only 2.4 per $; there's the better hitting spilling over. But look at the relievers--Morpheus's got 7.3 wins+saves per buck and Petro's got 6.6/$. Maybe the more important question is which is more economical, starting pitching or RP?

This game amazes me for how uncannily it can fairly price hitters, SP and RP.

l.strether

Re: Which is more important, hitting or pitching?

PostTue Jan 06, 2015 6:56 pm

Not that there aren't similar dynamics to both types of leagues, but those teams are ATG teams, and most people on this site forum are 20xx players. You should re-post your post on the ATG thread where you will most likely get the best, most relevant help.

Hank O

PostWed Jan 07, 2015 1:48 am

Thanks! Will do

blue turtle

PostWed Jan 07, 2015 1:55 pm

When I set a budget for pitching, I decide what type of pitching I want to play with: solid rotation with either 4 or 5 guys, or a weaker rotation and stronger bullpen. I guess I'd say I break the pitching into a 5 game segment: If I pay a lot for a pitcher, is it better to have a strong starter give me 7 solid/outstanding innings in one (maybe 2) games, or a RP who may be a bit cheaper, give me 1 inning in 3 or 4 of those games.

Return to General Strategy