Starting rotation not working properly

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

wahlerpc

Starting rotation not working properly

PostWed Dec 03, 2014 11:03 am

I have my default rotation set with 5 starters. None of them are injured or tired, as the season just started on Monday. David Price is my 5th guy. The computer skipped over his first start, and shows on the home page that it will skip his second start as well. If I switch Minor to #5 and Price to #3, the home page does not show the change. I think it is treating my rotation as if it is a 4 man rotation rather than 5. Any suggestions as to how I can correct this?

bandit442

Re: Starting rotation not working properly

PostWed Dec 03, 2014 1:11 pm

I think that starts happening when you mix * pitchers in your default rotation with non * pitchers. Hal still tries to get * pitchers their start every fourth day. The only way I have been able to make a true five man rotation work with a mix of * and non * pitchers is to fill out the pregame starting pitchers.
CrustyCrab53 is my new username, I don't know why forum still shows Bandit442.

wahlerpc

PostWed Dec 03, 2014 1:56 pm

Thanks Bandit. My other 4 Sps are * guys. I might drop Price and upgrade a hitter; or, I might drop him and pick up a * SP. Not sure yet which I'll do. This seems to be a flaw in the system, doesn't it? What good is a default rotation if the system does not default to it? The manual selection should be an over-ride to the default, not a tool to get the default to do what it is designed to do.

bandit442

PostWed Dec 03, 2014 2:23 pm

I agree it is a flaw, or HAL just doing what he wants to do. You pay extra for the * pitchers, because they can start every 4 days, so I would not buy a fifth * pitcher. Some of the strategy, as I have read on these boards, is to pay min on a fifth non * starter if the other four are * ones. I would use the extra money on hitting.

wahlerpc

PostWed Dec 03, 2014 3:32 pm

Hi Bandit. I e-mailed Strat and they came back with the same explanation as yours. They said HAL wants to force * guys to pitch every 4th day. Strat suggested moving Price up in my default rotation, or using the manual rotation settings.

I dropped Price and picked up Tillman, as he has a * endurance rating. Now I have a 5-man rotation, with all 5 having *. I wonder if that was a mistake. Will it still skip the 5th guy in order to give the 1st guy his next start with 4 days rest? What do you think?

coyote303

PostWed Dec 03, 2014 3:43 pm

wahlerpc wrote:Hi Bandit. I e-mailed Strat and they came back with the same explanation as yours. They said HAL wants to force * guys to pitch every 4th day. Strat suggested moving Price up in my default rotation, or using the manual rotation settings.

I dropped Price and picked up Tillman, as he has a * endurance rating. Now I have a 5-man rotation, with all 5 having *. I wonder if that was a mistake. Will it still skip the 5th guy in order to give the 1st guy his next start with 4 days rest? What do you think?

I believe it will still only start the top four guys in your rotation.

Why would you want a 5-man rotation anyway? You're paying a premium for * pitchers, so just start your four best.

wahlerpc

PostWed Dec 03, 2014 3:55 pm

I think you're right, Coyote. I will drop Tillman and upgrade a position player. The money drop hurts a little, but not too much.

STEVE F

PostWed Dec 03, 2014 3:57 pm

I am curious to see this team

wahlerpc

PostWed Dec 03, 2014 4:30 pm

http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/team/1389026

Take a look, Steve. Please give me your comments.
Ed

bandit442

PostWed Dec 03, 2014 4:37 pm

coyote303 wrote:
wahlerpc wrote:Hi Bandit. I e-mailed Strat and they came back with the same explanation as yours. They said HAL wants to force * guys to pitch every 4th day. Strat suggested moving Price up in my default rotation, or using the manual rotation settings.

I believe it will still only start the top four guys in your rotation.

Why would you want a 5-man rotation anyway? You're paying a premium for * pitchers, so just start your four best.

I agree, no reason to have the 5th starter with an *. But, you have to have 5 pitchers that can start. That is why I say pay min on a non * 5th starter/reliever if you have 4 * pitchers. He won't get a chance to start unless there is an injury to a * pitcher. Pay min and assign him to mop-up role.

And Wahlerpc don't worry about it, we've all gone through the same learning curve you are going through now.
Next

Return to General Strategy