Pitching Settings

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

wvufan76

Pitching Settings

PostTue Nov 25, 2014 6:13 am

Newbie question! I have just started playing Strat online, and in the league I am in my Starters try to throw complete games everytime out. Do I move the "F" number up or down to have them pitch less innings?

milleram

Re: Pitching Settings

PostTue Nov 25, 2014 10:36 am

F8 takes them out as soon as they tire any, F0 will leave them in the longest. Use the F settings with quick hook normally.

Some managers just leave them blank, and let HAL manage it---If you really want them out of the game because you have a great relief staff use the maximum 6 or 7 innings per start, but not for all your starters--beware a tired bullpen.

If relievers enter a third game in a row they come in tired at F0.

If you use the F settings, the bullpen roles become more important (Closer..setup.. and so on). Hal will put in the role pitcher you designate unless he is tired, then it falls to the second listed Closer..setup..etc.

coyote303

Re: Pitching Settings

PostTue Nov 25, 2014 12:56 pm

wvufan76 wrote:Newbie question! I have just started playing Strat online, and in the league I am in my Starters try to throw complete games everytime out. Do I move the "F" number up or down to have them pitch less innings?

To get more complete games, use a low F rating like F1. I wouldn't go F0; in fact, I would set it a bit higher, say F4. Once he hits F4, he's probably only going to last another hitter or two before becoming completely exhausted.

Remember to check the slow hook box (Hook Slo) for your starters. Also, change your Relief usage to conservative under Team Strategy.

A couple more things:

Draft starters with high endurance ratings to maximize the number of complete games you get.

A good defense will help reduce base hits allowed and increase double plays, therefore increasing your starters' endurance.

If you're playing in a no-DH league, there's not much you can do to keep HAL from pinch-hitting for your pitcher.

Note: These suggestions are specifically how to get the most complete games from your starters. They are not recommended strategy tips for the masses!

Return to General Strategy