Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

Ursoid

Re: New Member

PostSun Oct 12, 2014 10:43 pm

Most leagues are one-off affairs, regardless of the card set used. The game itself doesn't have any multiple-season feature, so you'll need to find a group who have an established league that needs a substitute, or watch for a new keeper league to form (even form one yourself). The only drawback I find with the run-of-the-mill one-off leagues is that there's little incentive to interact with other "owners" and trades are relatively rare - it's much tougher to make a deal when both sides need to see an immediate benefit than if one team that's in rebuilding mode can take a player or two that may develop next season. At least that's how I see trades in most leagues - maybe others have better luck or another explanation for the scarcity.

fredpaii

PostMon Oct 13, 2014 8:39 am

Plan B wrote:Yes I've seen the free trial league is going to take some time to fill. As for the keeper leagues though is that something that is only available in private leagues and must be set up prior to the league? I don't know how that part works and if it's worth being in a league that ends in one season.

Hi Plan B, I know someone who runs (Commissioner) a few Keeper leagues here. I can ask him if he has any openings in any of his leagues.

There's also something you may do yourself to see if there are any openings in a Keeper league. Just go over to the "Individual league chat" (THIS: viewforum.php?f=11) portion of this message board and create a new thread like you did here and state that you are looking to join a Keeper league when a spot opens up. They can contact you either through Personal Message here at this board or email - in the event a league Commissioner is looking to fill a league. You might want to leave an email.

There's more to learn with Keeper leagues as opposed to normal auto-draft leagues that end in one season but if you find some people that help you along you should be fine. I can give you assistance most of the time. You can PM me or email me at fredpaii@yahoo.com and put "Strat" in the subject heading so I know it's you.

I have to ask this. I recently put some Strat information up at the Chargers message board, thepowderblues.com, and was wondering if that's where you found this message board (the link). Is it? Just curious.

I would concur with istrether by the way in his advice to play the regular 2013 season first. Makes the most sense in my opinion for a beginner. In fact, I would try the auto-draft season league before I would attempt the Keeper leagues for sure. There's a lot going on in Keeper leagues and it may get overwhelming if you're a newbie. Hell, it overwhelmed me and I was not a newbie. :D

There's some golden material for newbies like yourself written by past and current members here. I'll look for it and put it here when i find it.

Read through this thread and be sure to open any links within the written material...

THIS: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=631692

I don't see a specific analysis of the 2013 Strat season set from that thread I listed for you but you can gain a lot of Strat wisdom by reading through that material nonetheless. And like i said, you can always ask folks here any questions you may have.

For the record, I've only played one 2013 season. But I did win the Championship for that league. 8-) I can still help you out.

Anyhow, take care and don't be afraid to ask the board here or myself as many questions as you like.

Here's something about the rules of play and reading the cards. You need to know about this stuff. It would definitely help (this is from the Questiona nd Answers section of this board (from the Strat-O-Matic people themselves). :)

Q: Is there a beginner’s guide to Strat-O-Matic Baseball Online?
A: The best way to learn about Baseball Online is by going to the help page located here: http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/help/rules. Besides the rules of the game itself there are links to help you learn how to read a hitters card (http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/help/hittercard) or a pitchers card (http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/help/pitchercard). If you still have questions after going through those pages just ask us and we will be glad to help. Also, you can use the forum to ask a question as there are plenty of very knowledgeable people right here that can help you.

Mr Baseball World

PostMon Oct 13, 2014 10:18 am

I think that ultimately whether you do start with ATG or 2013 depends on whether you are more interested in playing "current seasons" or historical what if type of things.

I think starting out it would be easier in ATG. There are so many players there that if you have a bad autodraft, you can recover. I also think there is more activity on the ATG board and as a result more opportunity to get help once you have gone through an autodraft.

Tips:

Major focus is to fit your players to your park.

Carefully read how the autodraft works. It does not work how you would think it would. If you list Greg Maddux as your first pick in ATG and someone else did also and they got him, you do not get the second guy on your list in that slot. You get the next highest priced starting pitcher that is listed nowhere on anyones draft card. Theoretically, one person can get all 25 players they list and another could get none.

Mystery card games are completely different. Again, If that is what you know you really like as opposed to traditional strat, I would consider diving in there....though the learning curve will be steeper.

Step one is to decide which game(also there are a couple of older single season games), then advice can be narrowed towards that specific set. The keeper leagues in 2013 games are generally not playing now and will get geared up again when the new cards come out in March. I have teams in three of those and am considering cutting back. ATG keeper leagues also exist and run continually so there may be an opening at any time in one of those. There are precard leagues that will be going soon as well. Lots of options.

ATG is played at a variety of caps from 60 mill to unlimited.....there are a couple of live draft options as well. Ultimately, go with what interests you. Keep asking questions and let us know what interests you and we can get you pointed in the right direction.

Mr Baseball World

PostMon Oct 13, 2014 10:25 am

There are theme leagues as well. I prefer themes....the weirder the better.

fredpaii

PostMon Oct 13, 2014 10:43 am

Real good points made by Mr. BaseballWorld about where your preferences are (which eras you might favor) and also about player position depth making it easier to compete for the newbie. And also the fact that the Stadium you choose should fit your players...i.e.- BallPark HomeRuns on player cards obviously will do better in Stadiums with high HR ranges (1-19 for both left and right handed hitters would be MUCH better than 1-6 for).

And also pitchers with "natural" HRs on their cards along with Ballpark HRs needs to be considered. Generally speaking, you want less HRs total from your pitchers cards if you play in more of a HR park (say 1-12 and above).

Plan B

PostMon Oct 13, 2014 4:49 pm

Thank you everyone for the wealth of information you have just flooded me with. I've been reading up the last couple days and now thanks to everyone have many more links to dive into.

fredpaii wrote:I have to ask this. I recently put some Strat information up at the Chargers message board, thepowderblues.com, and was wondering if that's where you found this message board (the link). Is it? Just curious.

Sorry Fred, I did not find this site through the chargers message board. I actually found it in an article about how to make a sim. It referenced this site and OOTP. http://www.hardballtimes.com/10-lessons ... simulator/
I played OOTP at the end of last year and didn't like it as the online portion was hard to get to and from what I've heard doesn't work to well. I never even got in a league but played solo for about a day or two before I got bored and never tried again.

As I have searched through the forums the last couple days I think I've found some very useful tips along the way. One of the things I came across was the disdain for I.strether. It made for quite a few fun reads. As I'm new to this site and you haven't done anything to "get my goat" yet so I would just like to say thank you for the time you have put in with me thus far and I can't wait to see how long it takes me to sharpen my pitchfork and join mob :lol:

All in all I hope this turns out to be a fun site and I look forward to learning the matrix. I think I will give the free league another day or so to see if it fills and if it doesn't I'll join a 2013 set. I've see (unleashed) after 2013 sometimes. Can someone clue me in to the significance to that?

fredpaii

PostMon Oct 13, 2014 5:17 pm

"Unleashed" means that a few select players that had minimal Major League playing time but did extremely well are included in that player set. They can be hitters or pitchers. There's usually only around five to 10 such players per year. You can see why they wouldn't be included in the regular sets as their stats came at much less at-bats or innings pitched than the norm. So they can drastically skew the process if they are played a full season of Strat. That's the basic premise, anyway.

Injuries are also an issue in this game. An important issue. That's covered under the Strat rules. Really, the Strat rules is probably all you need to get a team going.

l.strether

PostMon Oct 13, 2014 6:17 pm

Plan B wrote:As I have searched through the forums the last couple days I think I've found some very useful tips along the way. One of the things I came across was the disdain for I.strether. It made for quite a few fun reads. As I'm new to this site and you haven't done anything to "get my goat" yet so I would just like to say thank you for the time you have put in with me thus far and I can't wait to see how long it takes me to sharpen my pitchfork and join mob

You're welcome for the help, Plan B, I'm glad you found it useful. I also found most of the exchange funny; I, myself had lots of fun with my responses. However, only two people actually named me in all the gossip and drama, so I'm curious why you're sure I was the focus of it all. I actually assumed I was once, and Coyote errantly thought I was being "defensive." So, if you're right, and Valen and Coyote were talking about me on the "banishment' thread, then they were just lying about me. Thanks for the tip.

I am a vigorous and experienced debater, however, and that has frustrated a few. Some like Coyote and Valen simply didn't like losing their debates to me and have gossiped about me ever since. Some have even stalked me around the forum to only talk about me, which is both flattering and annoying.

You can't let such things get to you, though, Plan Be. You, like myself, pay for use of this forum, and unless you break the forum rules of abuse, you are free to use it as much as you want. I know I do and I will continue to do so. Don't ever let negative posters keep you from posting. Stay focused on your playing and on posting on SOM and baseball. I, myself, post a weekly Greatest players thread discussing the greatest players of all time and other topics. You are more than welcome to join.

Plan B

PostMon Oct 13, 2014 6:37 pm

I have no idea if they were talking about you or not. I saw you came in to defend yourself so just assumed. Mostly I was just making a joke. This is the internet not a living room so people can't expect the same rules to apply. Over the last couple days I think I have met some good people and I look forward to my experience here

l.strether

PostMon Oct 13, 2014 6:55 pm

No worries, dude. I wasn't aware there were "rules" to a living room. You learn something new everyday... ;)

I'm glad you've enjoyed your experience. I hope you see we mostly get along here; Fred and I have actually bonded over Cat Stevens of all things. I hope the rest of your "stay" here remains as bright.
PreviousNext

Return to General Strategy