Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

Plan B

PostSun Oct 12, 2014 11:22 am

Can anyone give a new member some advise on how to start. Currently I'm trying to join a free trial league but it's been over a day and still not filled. Before it does can someone point me to some tips how to select a team and what your looking for on a "player card" for the ballpark you select. I've toured the forum here a little but it's still a foreign language to me at this point. Thanks

Plan B

Re: New Member

PostSun Oct 12, 2014 6:06 pm

I guess the proper heading would have been Please Help New Member. Any advice on what kind of league to join for the first time or what help threads to read to learn how this works? Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks

STEVE F

PostSun Oct 12, 2014 6:11 pm

I'd start with an $80M salary cap league. Do you want to play 2013 set or All Time Greats 8?
Do you know how to read the cards? I'm trying to think of a good link explaining the basics of SOM, maybe one of the vets can chime in?

Plan B

PostSun Oct 12, 2014 6:52 pm

STEVE F wrote:I'd start with an $80M salary cap league. Do you want to play 2013 set or All Time Greats 8?
Do you know how to read the cards? I'm trying to think of a good link explaining the basics of SOM, maybe one of the vets can chime in?

I have no idea what set I should play. As far as the cards are concerned I've read the help file on them and have a very basic understanding, probably not half of what I need to know.

l.strether

PostSun Oct 12, 2014 7:34 pm

I agree about starting with an 80m salary cap league, but i would definitely start in a 2013 league if I were you. Most of the people playing ATG have a very high knowledge of both the set and the players involved. You will find more beginners in a random 2013 league than in an ATG league, and you will probably have a greater familiarity with the players.

Plan B

PostSun Oct 12, 2014 8:24 pm

for my first league would I be better off with an offline draft or a live one?

l.strether

PostSun Oct 12, 2014 8:29 pm

Autodraft, definitely. If you don't have a substantial knowledge of the players in the league, you won't do well in a live draft. Also, you may have to wait awhile for a live draft; they aren't as common.

Plan B

PostSun Oct 12, 2014 8:38 pm

I see. Does it matter if it's public or private. I assume the difference is activity level but for a beginner would I be way out of my league in a private league? Also I have seen talk about keeper leagues. Is that something separate or can any league become a keeper league if the owners want to stay together?

Ursoid

PostSun Oct 12, 2014 8:56 pm

Private leagues are often organized around a theme, or they might be one of a series of leagues involving the same players. While you can always inquire with the player who organized a private league, if you're learning the way Strat works you might find it more fun to play the basic game without any special rules added. I agree with others who suggested the 2013 set - I think it's easier to get the hang of things. As for the free intro leagues, in the time I've been playing online I've never seen them fill very quickly. If you really want to try the game, pick up the cheap two-fer offer and sign up for an Auto League. Those usually fill within a reasonable time. Look for hitters with on-base results in the middle of their columns and pitchers with outs in those spots, suit them up and send them on out to play. I'm sure you can get more detailed advice from a lot of guys that regularly kick my teams around, but I say play however you have fun with it.

Plan B

PostSun Oct 12, 2014 9:14 pm

Yes I've seen the free trial league is going to take some time to fill. As for the keeper leagues though is that something that is only available in private leagues and must be set up prior to the league? I don't know how that part works and if it's worth being in a league that ends in one season.
Next

Return to General Strategy