Real Life Pitching Stats based on Low Number of Innings

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

Tetreault

Real Life Pitching Stats based on Low Number of Innings

PostTue Sep 09, 2014 11:14 pm

When a Starting Pitcher has Real Life Pitching Statistics based on 100 innings, can we assume that he will perform just as well as a Starting Pitcher who had logged 200 Real Life innings with similar statistics?

blue turtle

Re: Real Life Pitching Stats based on Low Number of Innings

PostWed Sep 10, 2014 6:16 pm

I will say that if all other things are equal, the answer to your question is yes, except that Mr. 200 might be a SP* and thus be able to perform more often than Mr. 100.

However, I am wary of just looking at real life statistics and drawing the conclusion that the Strat cards for the two pitchers will be similar or performance will be just as well. I don't have any knowledge of how they make the cards, only my conclusions from observations, but I would assume if two pitchers had similar stats but one pitched in a hitter's park and the other in a pitcher's park, that the one in the hitter's park should have a better card since his stats were accomplished in a more hostile environment.

coyote303

PostFri Sep 12, 2014 11:30 pm

I was going to reply, but blue turtle said it all and said it well!

Valen

PostThu Sep 18, 2014 12:40 am

What Blue Turtle says is true. In addition strat has said in the past that some players have enough playing time to get a card but insufficient to provide reliable statistical sample. In such cases the card may be adjusted based on surrounding season and career stats. They have never however explicitly stated what that sample size cutoff is or how the weighting formula is structured. Also note that I am relying on memory from statements made in long forgotten magazines like the strat fan magazine, not things shared online.

Return to General Strategy