They Cracked the Code

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

blue turtle

Re: They Cracked the Code

PostMon Sep 29, 2014 3:27 pm

Overwatch009 wrote:
danthechan wrote:They just wouldn't allow a 10 year, 10 homer a year players to hit 55

This all day. Why doesn't anyone else see this? This could be fixed and this game would be much better imho. The whole issue of guys doubling or tripling their career high home runs is absurd. Why won't people admit that!

It is not set up for online play and I have never personally participated in one, but I have known leagues were the simplest "fix" was implemented: A cap on the plate appearances and innings pitched based on the season totals. Joe Schmo who hit 3 HR in 50 real life at bats doesn't get the opportunity to hit 55 homers (well, I suppose it is possible) in such a league.

Davesodu

PostThu Oct 02, 2014 3:57 pm

I think you have to go into this game (especially the ATG) realizing it is not a simulation of a certain year so players will not perform as such. I can have a staff of Koufax, Young, Johnson, and Mathewson and play in a high salary league where hitter parks rule and all 4 of my guys will have ERAs of 4.50. It may be the best team ERA in the league but will not match their real life performance. The same applies to a platoon righty that gets 100 ABs a year in MLB but can hit 50 HRs given a full season in a favorable park here. If you expect it to match real life stats you won't like this game. If you try to match your preferences to a salary cap you prefer ($60M instead of $200M) or stick to leagues that interest you (70s instead of ATG) you will enjoy the game.

I had Statis Pro baseball a long time ago and I thought that was much more accurate delivering stats tailored to the years I was playing. But this game is good to get players on my team that I want and to try to build a strategy that will win given my park and my league.

blue turtle

PostThu Oct 02, 2014 4:15 pm

Davesodu wrote:I think you have to go into this game (especially the ATG) realizing it is not a simulation of a certain year so players will not perform as such. I can have a staff of Koufax, Young, Johnson, and Mathewson and play in a high salary league where hitter parks rule and all 4 of my guys will have ERAs of 4.50. It may be the best team ERA in the league but will not match their real life performance. The same applies to a platoon righty that gets 100 ABs a year in MLB but can hit 50 HRs given a full season in a favorable park here. If you expect it to match real life stats you won't like this game. If you try to match your preferences to a salary cap you prefer ($60M instead of $200M) or stick to leagues that interest you (70s instead of ATG) you will enjoy the game.

I had Statis Pro baseball a long time ago and I thought that was much more accurate delivering stats tailored to the years I was playing. But this game is good to get players on my team that I want and to try to build a strategy that will win given my park and my league.

Additionally, I think any simulation game is based on an effort by the creators to simulate real life stats if you apply an "as played" approach: same parks, same lineup, etc. The draft leagues, even the 24-team ones, almost never see the pitcher who put up a 7.00 ERA and 2.50 WHIP even on a roster, much less getting innings.

mike4169

PostFri Oct 03, 2014 8:01 pm

STEVE F wrote:http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/team/1384047

I started wondering if this could work. I was afraid to try it in a hitters park though, but 4 stud starters can do well in a pitcher's park

Any chance you could share the setting to avoid ever using a relief pitcher like that?

STEVE F

PostFri Oct 03, 2014 8:26 pm

mike4169 wrote:
STEVE F wrote:http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/team/1384047

I started wondering if this could work. I was afraid to try it in a hitters park though, but 4 stud starters can do well in a pitcher's park

Any chance you could share the setting to avoid ever using a relief pitcher like that?

Sure, all starters set to "Do not remove before F1" Team setting for bullpen "conservative". That's all there is to it.

mike4169

PostSat Oct 04, 2014 8:47 am

Thank you!
Previous

Return to General Strategy