Regarding starter/relievers

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

Scottbdoug

Regarding starter/relievers

PostTue Feb 25, 2014 8:24 pm

if you have a starter *(9) relief (5)

What are the logistics if you start him in a game to have him relieve the next game or the following game.

For example if i start him for 3 innings can i use him in the next if he doesnt start. Or will he be weak?

I have 5 great starters who also relieve but are never used in relief roles because they many times they pitch 8 or 9 innings.

Scott.

Jmb3264

Re: Regarding starter/relievers

PostTue Feb 25, 2014 9:09 pm

One season (without reading the rules) with the ATG set I thought I would use Christy Mathewson and Walter Johnson together and start them every other game and have them alternate in the bullpen on their off days. I only got 1 relief appearance out of either of them and that was in the first series of the season.
I am pretty sure the rules say they can't start or relieve for 3 days after their last start. Then they start...

But, since you have 5 it may come down to your pitching pref's. It also might be harder for HAL to know to use one if you have all 5 as default starters.
John

Scottbdoug

PostWed Feb 26, 2014 9:49 pm

Ahhh that might be the secret to leave the default rotation empty so hal can choose the starter and us the other starters as relievers when available.

coolhandlewke

PostFri Mar 07, 2014 8:43 pm

I posted this in another thread but I want to double up in hope of a quick answer:

I've got a noob question I could really use an answer to. my 1st go round and it seems everybody is running a 4 man rotation except me. not too realistic for a game that relies on realism but that's besides the point. I can change my dance step and draft better next time around. my question is, is there any downside to the 4 man? any increased injury risk? any built up fatigue? you would hope a pitcher on 3 days would fatigue faster and perform worse. thanks

Ninersphan

PostSun Mar 09, 2014 12:37 am

coolhandlewke wrote:I posted this in another thread but I want to double up in hope of a quick answer:

I've got a noob question I could really use an answer to. my 1st go round and it seems everybody is running a 4 man rotation except me. not too realistic for a game that relies on realism but that's besides the point. I can change my dance step and draft better next time around. my question is, is there any downside to the 4 man? any increased injury risk? any built up fatigue? you would hope a pitcher on 3 days would fatigue faster and perform worse. thanks

Short answer, no downside. There is no additional fatigue or injury factor for 4 man rotations. That asteric makes it that way. In an 80mil league I almost alway try ot go with a 4 man rotation and a .50 5th SP because it's a very effective way to save money.

coyote303

PostSun Mar 09, 2014 1:34 am

coolhandlewke wrote:I posted this in another thread but I want to double up in hope of a quick answer:

Niner is right. There is no downside to a 4-man rotation. In fact, with a 4-man rotation you are less prone to injuries since an SP* is likely to have 200+ innings pitched and therefore he will never miss a start due to injury (3-game max injury).

That being said, the advantage of a 5-man rotation is there is usually less demand for a non-SP* pitchers, so you might have an easier time landing a rotation ace (depending on the set). However, never draft a high-priced SP* pitcher if you don't plan to start him every four games; otherwise, you are throwing money away.

Return to General Strategy