HAL and relief decisions

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

coolhandlewke

Re: HAL and relief decisions

PostSat Mar 22, 2014 1:13 pm

hals pitching decisions have pretty much soured any enthusiasm I had for this product. every day I open up my scores and there is a new debacle. I've tried every setting I can think of. right now I have every starter set to quick hook, just trying to get some use out of my bullpen. so today I see that dave stewart walked 11 and made 164 pitches in 7 and 1/3. tommy john gave up 8 in 8 innings and made 168 pitches. in previous games I've had starters pitch into the 11th and 13th, losing both of course. this season is lost but I have 1 credit left. I want to figure something out before I go back for round 2.

coyote303

PostMon Mar 24, 2014 10:58 am

Roadduck99 wrote:Thanks.

So when we failed to score for 7.1 innings against Greg W. Harris, the last guy available in my opponent's bullpen who was F0 for the last 3 2/3 innings of our extra-inning game last night, that was just bad luck on our part?

http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/ga ... 348441/128

Think about F0 as "F0 or less." A pitcher at true F0 is significantly less effective than F9. However, a pitcher can go down even further but the game will still show him at F0. In your case, Harris probably was holding steady at "true" F0. It was bad luck not to score but not outrageous.

coyote303

PostMon Mar 24, 2014 11:04 am

coolhandlewke wrote:hals pitching decisions have pretty much soured any enthusiasm I had for this product. every day I open up my scores and there is a new debacle. I've tried every setting I can think of. right now I have every starter set to quick hook, just trying to get some use out of my bullpen. so today I see that dave stewart walked 11 and made 164 pitches in 7 and 1/3. tommy john gave up 8 in 8 innings and made 168 pitches. in previous games I've had starters pitch into the 11th and 13th, losing both of course. this season is lost but I have 1 credit left. I want to figure something out before I go back for round 2.

Relief pitching is one of the best aspects of the online game, giving you lots of control. However, it is probably the most complicated, misunderstood, and easy-to-screw-up feature. I would bet you are giving your pitchers F-settings and probably low ones. Leave the F-settings blank for most pitchers. Read my previous post for exceptions (and even then I don't recommend going lower than F8).

coolhandlewke

PostTue Mar 25, 2014 2:28 pm

thanks. I clearly misunderstood the F function. I assumed that "don't relieve before" attached to a number would be an inning. :idea: good thing I have another credit for a do over.

Rosie2167

PostMon Oct 27, 2014 7:09 pm

The fatigue factor is tough one for me to grasp from a math standpoint. Does anyone understand the actual calculations behind a pitcher that is F9 versus F8, F7...?

Some details... So I get there is a 50/50 chance that a result is hitter or pitcher. And once that is determined there are 108 possible outcomes (not counting splits) based on Right v Lefty. But when does the Fatigue factor come into play? During the initial roll? At the card level?

Tks
bob
Previous

Return to General Strategy