Team Strategy: Bunting

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

Roadduck99

Team Strategy: Bunting

PostTue Feb 18, 2014 8:54 am

I am a complete Strat newbie - my first team played its first series last night - and I already have a question about the manager strategies. I built a high-OBP team that I want to run in a Moneyball fashion: don't give away outs. So I set my sac bunting at "Extra Conservative," thinking this means we'll only bunt late and in extra innings. Imagine my surprise when in the third inning of game three, with the very first lead of our existence (2-0), Ozzie Smith walked and Juan Beniquez, with a near-.400 OBP vs. LHP, sacrificed him to second. I am furious with this management decision, despite the fact that Hrbek hit a three-run bomb and we won the game easily.

The question is, do I have my bunting strategy set completely opposite the way I wan it to work?

Thanks for your help!

gbrookes

Re: Team Strategy: Bunting

PostTue Feb 18, 2014 9:24 am

I'm actually really surprised that HAL would bunt based on setting bunting to extra conservative.

I do have a suggestion.

If you want certain players not bunt at any time, you can set the player to "don't bunt", on the hitters preferences page. You'll find the hitters preferences page under the "team" menu options. There's a check box for "don't bunt".

If you have trouble finding it, post back here or send me a private message if you want.

Good luck! Enjoy!

Roadduck99

PostTue Feb 18, 2014 11:31 am

Thanks for the feedback. So I'm not crazy, but HAL is?

I do have my sluggers set to no bunt. I didn't tag Beniquez because I'd be OK having him do so trying to get a single run late in the game. I'll see how it plays out for awhile before I force the issue.

Roadduck99

PostWed Feb 19, 2014 7:59 am

Again last night in the top of the 1st. There should be a "Not Before X Inning" setting for bunting.

Return to General Strategy