Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

rjohaire

Max 6 IPs and 7 IPs Ignored

PostSat Jan 04, 2014 9:32 am

Just started a league on Monday
This worked well up to then
Now it seems to be ignored. Pitchers set to Max 7 IP will pitch in the 8th if they have a lead.

paul8210

Re: Max 6 IPs and 7 IPs Ignored

PostSat Jan 04, 2014 11:19 am

Clicking on the "help" link on the pitchers' preferences page brings up this.................Hope this helps
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Max 6 IP for start / Max 7 IP for start

When this setting is active for a starting pitcher, he will be lifted from a game he's started no later than after 6 (or 7) IP, no matter how well he is pitching. This is close to, if not 100%, strict - with the exception of the "Don't Relieve Before" setting of Bullpen v2, which will keep the pitcher in past 6 or 7 IP if called for.

rjohaire

PostSat Jan 04, 2014 12:51 pm

Thx Paul - my point is that the team that for my started Monday this isn't working
it has always worked before

amendolare

PostTue Jan 14, 2014 6:56 am

I'm not sure I understand the setting or if I'm using this correctly, but I have a starter rated 8* for which I set the Max IP/Start to 7 IP.

He then worked into the 9th, giving up a double and walk in the 8th, and a HR and single before being relieved in the ninth. Based on that outing it looks (to me) like the standard pitching fatigue rule kicked in to get him out of there.

It mattered not that my setting specified no more than 7 IP. His final pitch count was a kind of ridiculous 158.

So I guess I don't get this specific Max IP/Start setting. :?

gbrookes

PostWed Jan 15, 2014 9:39 am

amendolare wrote:I'm not sure I understand the setting or if I'm using this correctly, but I have a starter rated 8* for which I set the Max IP/Start to 7 IP.

He then worked into the 9th, giving up a double and walk in the 8th, and a HR and single before being relieved in the ninth. Based on that outing it looks (to me) like the standard pitching fatigue rule kicked in to get him out of there.

It mattered not that my setting specified no more than 7 IP. His final pitch count was a kind of ridiculous 158.

So I guess I don't get this specific Max IP/Start setting. :?

As "Paul" said above, and yeah I read rjohaire's post, but just make sure that you don't have the "Don't relieve before F_" box filled in. I think Paul's point is that setting over-rides the Max IP setting.

amendolare

PostSat Jan 18, 2014 9:33 pm

I still need to understand how to set the Pitching preferences.

a) Pitchers still going past my Max IP even though I disabled all "Don't Relieve B4" F_ settings.
b) How do you set your closer to pitch the 9th every time and to pitch exactly one inning only regardless of situation.
c) An opponent had a pitcher throwing a one-hitter with a 6-0 lead against me after six full innings. That starter was relieved without facing a batter in the seventh. I scored six runs to tie the game and won it in bottom of the ninth.

Needless to say, he was not happy. I'm asking him about his settings for the starting pitcher and his relief staff but he has not answered me yet.

Seriously, I would never manage this way at the table with dice in hand.

gfyock09

PostTue Jan 28, 2014 12:57 pm

Don't try to understand SUPER HAL as it will only frustrate you. Have closer set to max and HAL just left starter in, in the ninth, with one run lead, only to have other team tie and go into extra innings. Very next game with 5 run lead in ninth here comes my closer. There are a number of basic fundamental issues with how the computer is programmed. IE, too often runners try to steal third with one out or less, computer seems to be set up to strive for that complete game instead of trying to just win the game. (I would give up complete games all day if they are wins.) Have seen many, too many bunt attempts with two outs, more than should be unless you have an insane manager. Same with third base steal attempts.
F ratings and maximize closer settings are definitely not adhered to, in my opinion, not that it counts for anything here. I am going to try NETPLAY, before I buy anymore teams in online play. I have one team that has a solid lineup and good (not great) pitching, but always seems to get beat (or blown out) in or after the 7th inning. Sick of SUPER HAL, and whoever programmed him/It.

gfyock09

PostTue Jan 28, 2014 1:05 pm

Oh, and don't set to aggresive relief, if you are only trying to get closer in more, cause Hal thinks you want all your relief guys in more/sooner. And you still might not get your closer when you want him. Hal does a lot of things that real baseball managers wouldn't do even if they had ironclad no cut contracts.

artie4121

PostTue Jan 28, 2014 10:27 pm

HAL is the Connie Mack of Strat.

Return to General Strategy