Are players (relievers) adjusted ...

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

Icterus Galbuli

Are players (relievers) adjusted ...

PostFri Dec 20, 2013 10:38 pm

... as a season moves along? I have 2 examples where it appears to have happened:

I had Elias Sosa in a 70's league and he was cruising through 75 games:
2-1 13SV (1 blown) 21.2IP, 12HITS, 5er, 3bb, 22 K's .....the NEXT 9 games he went
1-4 3SV (3 blown) 11.2IP, 22HT, 17er, 11bb, 2K's
Originally I had assumed I had his best card...then after the stretch of 9 bad games I thought maybe I had just been lucky on the dice rolls and that I really had one of his worst cards....turns out I had his best card with a sub 2.00 ERA and his lowest WHIP.

In another league I had Quissenberry through 60 games:
3-0 10SV (2 blown) 38.1IP,34HT,10ER,12bb,17K's .....the next 10 games he went
3-2 2SV (4 blown) 26.2IP,28HT,16ER,4bb,8k's

It appears as if the game engine is making an adjustment ...

just curious,

Thanks

Tim W

paul8210

Re: Are players (relievers) adjusted ...

PostSat Dec 21, 2013 11:54 am

His mystery version stays the same, but......

Elias Sosa's best card can get hit hard by left-handers. You could analyze the play-by-play logs and see if his performance during that bad stretch was a result of facing too many left handers. Or maybe he came into the game pitcher fatigued or pitched a lot of innings during that stretch, pitcher fatigued. That is, his fatigue rating may have slipped well below F9 during some of those shaky innings during the stretch of nine games.

coyote303

Re: Are players (relievers) adjusted ...

PostMon Dec 23, 2013 1:53 pm

No! Cards are never "adjusted" in mystery leagues.

A pitcher's performance can variate wildly in the short run. In fact, the hardest thing to do in the mystery game is to figure out which year a pitcher has. My last season in my 90s Keeper League I failed miserably. I cut several pitchers who actually turned out to have very good cards. Sometimes (sadly, not as often), the reverse is even true. I've had pitchers do well, and I'm surprised they actually had a mediocre year.

The one suggestion I make for pitchers is if they don't have any bad years, don't cut them just because they are doing poorly.

Return to General Strategy