Defensive strategy question

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

wrc520

Defensive strategy question

PostSat Nov 09, 2013 11:27 pm

What player is a better leftfielder option?

3 range with 11 errors or a 4 range with 6 errors.

STEVE F

Re: Defensive strategy question

PostSat Nov 09, 2013 11:48 pm

wrc520

PostSun Nov 10, 2013 11:53 am

Thank you very much!

carumba10

PostFri Nov 15, 2013 4:08 pm

STEVE F wrote:This chart is very helpful

http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/btf ... atfldg.htm

Looks very cool. Unfortunately I can't decipher it :(

LMBombers

PostSat Nov 16, 2013 5:36 pm

I don't know what the numbers exactly mean either but it is a great guide for defensive comparisons between a 2e24 vs a 3e10 or the like.

milleram

PostMon Nov 25, 2013 6:45 am

I am pretty sure the numbers on that chart are card chances---The last pair of numbers (per game) are the same as the first pair (per ab) x9

A hitter generally will have 9 ab against him in the field for every 1 ab he gets at the plate--so this chart is correct except for adding in the extra dp chances one infielders get over lower range infielders

the rounding errors on the first pair are greater, and are not useful for ratings anyway, so the second pair are the ones to use (per game) --why these terms were used--I don't know--it is misleading.

if you buy the SoM guide book you can get the individual breakdown of each offensive player---I use ob chances plus total bases to rate a player offensively--- basically they add like this- Walk =1 Single =2 Double =3 Triple = 4 Homerun =5

This does not count BP HR, or BP singles so you have to add those in for your park.

On this fielding chart the same applies but also Error =2 2b error =3 3b error =3 as they essentially are the same as Single, Double, Triple---- add the last two columns to get card chances allowed defensively

Here is a comparison of two players VS RH pitching---Andrelton Simmons, and Jed Lowrie (2012---ignoring injurys)

Simmons 79.6 offensively -7 defensively = 72 overall
Lowrie 72 offensively -46.4 defensively = 25.6

Simmons is weak power though, so subtract a few more--I subtract 12 for a weak hitter
Lowrie has 6 BP HR --- in Coors add 6 (bp hr) x5 (hr=5) x.95 (coors 1-19 bp hr) or add 28..5

In Coors Lowrie becomes almost the equal of Simmons overall vs RH pitchers 58.1 to 60 (they way I rate them)

In fact since triples can be left at third even if a leadoff triple--HRs maybe should be counted as 6--in which case add about 10 more to Lowrie as he has about 4 natural HR + 6 bp hr in Coors.

As the park HRs get lower Simmons gets better and better for the park.

In a pitchers park Simmons is much superior due to his defense.

With the book and this chart you can compare any two players at the same position, or you can add the offensive card yourself--it's not that hard after you do a few.

Return to General Strategy