What is close game in the late innings?

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

shoop

What is close game in the late innings?

PostThu Oct 31, 2013 10:22 am

The following is in the help area on the Team Strategy page:

When you set players to be your defensive replacements, the computer manager will consider using them from the 7th inning on if you have the lead. The probability of them being used is based on how close the game is.

The way it reads I would expect the sub to enter the game every time in a situation like the above but he doesnt. What percentage chance should I expect him to get into the game?

Is a 1 run lead in the 9th inning something that would get the replacement player into the game?.....I sure want him in at that time, but too often they are sitting on the bench. Actually I would send them in with a 2 run lead in the 8th.

Is there a way to get him into the game for often with out making the starter to be removed as we know this isnt a good idea.

Thanks

milleram

Re: What is close game in the late innings?

PostSun Nov 03, 2013 4:12 am

I don't know the odds for a replacement from the Strategy section only, but if you want a player to be replaced with any lead in the eight or ninth---go to the Hitters prefs, and check "remove 4 Def sub"

For instance if you are playing Ortiz at first and have Kotchman on the bench (2012), check Ortiz "remove for def sub" box and in the Strategy section list Kotchman as a def sub at 1st---this forces a defensive sub if you have the lead.

The downside is if Kotchman is hurt or previously used as a PH---the AI (Hal) will remove Ortiz anyway (even if another 1B isn't available), and then could put a player out of position at 1B with even worse fielding.

I had a team with a Cano and Altuve platoon at 2B--I checked Altuve as replace with def sub, and had Cano as the sub--frequently Cano would PH in the 7th for a pitcher, and then after I got the lead Altuve would be pulled after Cano was used--I would end up with Nunez at 2b--(Hal can't do a double switch correctly it seems--Cano should stay in the game batting ninth and the new pitcher go in at Altuve's spot--in this case leadoff)

I finally just unchecked the Altuve replace box but left Cano as a defensive sub in the Strategy--and you are right--sometimes he would go in and sometimes not.

Also I had Ortiz, but used Loney as the def sub--this worked well with Ortiz "remove 4 def sub" box checked.

Canzler ended up there sometimes when Loney would PH, but in addition to defense I wanted to limit Ortiz ABs with a lead to try to keep him from getting injured.

http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/team/1110342

STEVE F

PostSun Nov 03, 2013 2:01 pm

This is a very good explanation Randall. The manager must decide if checking the remove for D with a lead box is worth the risk. In example 1 with Ortiz, it certainly is. In example 2 with Altuve it was not. Of course, if that had been a DH league it might have been, since Cano would not be pinch hitting for the pitcher.
I always list my defensive subs on the strategy page, but only check remove for D with lead on the hitter pref. page if the player is so horrible defensively that I'm willing to take the risk that an out of position player just might be the one replacing him

shoop

PostMon Nov 04, 2013 11:28 am

Thanks...and it continues...the sub doesnt always go in with a 1 run lead in the 9th.....the other problems you mentioned I didnt even bother to list on the original post.....The problem with checking on the hitters preference page leads to a weaker defender being put into the game if your defensive sub was already used. Also the problem with a player marked as the sub not going into the game when he is used as a pinch hitter. I can take this as being answered as there really isnt a way around the problem one and two, the problem is known.

Return to General Strategy