Fatigue Ratings

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

the ghost of roger maris

Fatigue Ratings

PostMon Sep 16, 2013 4:12 pm

I have never used them and am wondering if anyone has used them and what goes into deciding what to set it at?

I assume the studlier the pitcher the lower the ratings.

I also think ball park has a role to play.
vivan Correcaminos! Andale! Andale!

gbrookes

Re: Fatigue Ratings

PostMon Sep 16, 2013 4:56 pm

I'm sure there's been some good discussion this before - I'll see if I can find it in the next 24 hours and put a link here to the previous discussion.

I use these settings, and adjust them frequently depending on all aspects of the game situation:
- how rested is my bullpen after the last series?
- how well matched is my starting pitcher to this nights opposition lineup?
- how good is my starter, in absolute terms?
-how good are the other starters that are in the rotation, especially the other starting pitchers in tonight's series?

I like your comment - "I assume that the 'studier' the pitcher, the lower the fatigue rating." In general I agree - in other words, if you want your starter to go deeper into the game, at the risk of fatigue, set the rating to a lower "F" rating.

My own personal preference, when I want to get a starting pitcher to go deep into a game, is just to either tick "slow hook" and leave the F rating blank - OR - set the fatigue level to "F8" with "quick hook". In other words - either let him go as deep as Hal will let him go - OR - keep him in until the first sign of being tired, and then yank him quick. Either of these 2 settings is just my personal preference for a stud starting pitcher.

I like the slow hook approach when I want to give Hal discretion - like if the other team has a really unbalanced lineup with some big lefty hitters, or the opposite. In that case, giving Hal the discretion means that maybe Hal will lift him if he's about to face the wrong handed batter, or a batter with the wrong balance for my pitcher. I also use slow hook when the bullpen is really tired. On the other hand, if I just want to prevent Hal from pulling him too soon, then I use F8 with quick hook ticked. Keep in mind that Hal will automatically pull the starter if he gives up 5 runs in one inning, no matter what the settings you use.

Geoff

coyote303

PostThu Sep 19, 2013 10:02 pm

I'll use F8 with a very good starter, with my ace reliever (if I have one), and with my backup closer. Sometimes, I'll use it on a lesser starter if HAL gets too quick to pull him.

The reason I'll use it on my backup closer is HAL would bring him in for one batter and then pull him, bringing in my fatigued regular closer.

Everyone else I leave blank, and I rarely use anything lower than F8.

TomSiebert

PostSun Sep 22, 2013 12:18 pm

Has anyone noticed that the fatigue ratings don't seem to affect non-DH leagues? I often have pitchers, both starters and relievers, pulled for pinch hitters when they've not reached their fatigue rating.

Maybe this is a question for a new thread.

tws

coyote303

PostMon Sep 23, 2013 2:13 am

TomSiebert wrote:Has anyone noticed that the fatigue ratings don't seem to affect non-DH leagues? I often have pitchers, both starters and relievers, pulled for pinch hitters when they've not reached their fatigue rating.

Maybe this is a question for a new thread.

tws

You are correct that HAL does not let fatigue settings influence his decision whether to pinch hit for the pitcher. But then, I would hate to lose a game because HAL didn't pinch hit (because of my fatigue setting) when I was losing late in the game!

LMBombers

PostMon Sep 23, 2013 1:05 pm

What kills me is when HAL lets the pitcher bat around the 6th or 7th inning and then replaces him with a RP to begin the next inning. If you were going to do that why not PH for him in the prior half inning?

Return to General Strategy