Bullpen Usage

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

sociophil

Bullpen Usage

PostTue Jun 11, 2013 3:28 pm

This is my first season of SOM and I'm still trying to learn and compete in the 2013 ATG 7 tournament. My question has to do with bullpen usage. I noticed that some of the more successful managers spend on an R3 closer and set up guy and then use them in multiple designated roles like middleman, set up, and closer. Here Vinegar Strokes, for example, uses Hoyt Wilhelm heavily in each of these roles during the season (142 IP). I saw that he pitched in 9 of the last 12 games (all wins), and he pitched well. He came in mostly in the setup role, although once as closer and once as 9th and tied. No other reliever seems to be designated.

http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/team/sim/1024839

My question is, is this a good strategy in designing and using a bullpen in these tournaments? I thought that if an RP was used two days in a row his fatigue rating was zero on the third day. That didn't seem to be that case for Wilhelm. When I tried that with Orosco and Willie Hernandez they both got BOMBED! I'd like to use these guys in more than just closing situations, but not if they are going to get bombed when they are fatigued. Any help on bullpen strategy would be greatly appreciated.

Finally, where can I see the fatigue rating a pitcher is at when he enters the game? I can't find anything about fatigue ratings.

sociophil

Re: Bullpen Usage

PostSat Jun 15, 2013 12:59 pm

Lot's of helpful feedback from you all. ;)

Well I've done some more poking around and I see how it works. Stud reliever set to "setup" role with no closer designated. This allows the stud to pitch max innings and is worth more than the occasional blow up. Money is wasted on a bullpen. Buy the stud closer and use the he'll out of him. Am I wrong?

andycummings65

PostSat Jun 15, 2013 3:04 pm

That strategy has definitely evolved due to the way the online game is constructed. It's not the only way to do it, but it is done often..........

tcochran

PostFri Aug 09, 2013 10:32 am

Just saw the bullpen post (I rarely go into this forum).

It's worth experimenting a bit with your bullpen. I try to have a super reliever (150 IP+) whenever possible, since he can pull you out of a lot of jams.

In addition, I won 100 games with a team recently that had a pedestrian starting rotation (all at < $5 mil), but a stunning bullpen (3 guys at $5 - 6 mil each).

http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/team/1024241

milleram

PostWed Aug 14, 2013 9:07 am

In the play by play list, the fatigue rating is the last item on the line ----F9 usually,---- this is the opposing pitchers fatigue rating after the at bat is completed, so for 6 inning rated starters you may see it start to drop in inning 6 or after, also if he gets bombed in an early inning (5 runs or more I think) his F rating will start to go down.

a sample inning:

0 D.Navarro 3-9 Strike Out b-0 F9
1 D.Span 3-6 Double (LF) b-2 F9
1 2 C.Hart 5-11 Single (LF) 2-3 b-1 bpSI 1-19 F5
SUBSTITUTION at P: Xavier Cedeno
1 1 3 H.Kendrick 1-8 Double (CF) 3-H 1-H b-2 F9
1 2 J.Pierre 1-10 Ground Out (3B) b-0 F9
2 2 J.Reyes 4-3 Fly Out (LF) b-0 F9

When you set a pitcher for F8 and quick hook--the AI (Hal) will immediately replace him--if you set him for F3 it will wait till he tires to a F3.

If you leave the setting blank I think Hal goes on percentages it may replace him at F8 only a certain % of the time, then a larger % as the fatigue increases (follows the CD version of the game if you do not use fatigue ratings) but I am not sure.

A pitcher can sometimes enter a ballgame tired. Relievers can go 2 games in a row, but they must rest the 3rd game.

In the ATG games the rules may be different as pitchers like Wilhelm typically went longer stints--there were some pitchers that had a "can relieve when tired" setting--I know Mike Marshall went over 200 innings in relief I think in 1973, and he had that setting.

I am not sure as I have never played the ATG game--so someone correct me if I am wrong.

Return to General Strategy