computer manager flaw or screw over

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

Radagast Brown

Re: computer manager flaw or screw over

PostFri Jun 28, 2013 1:54 pm

Why would you have David Price, one of the best starting pitchers in the set, on quick hook? That does not make ANY sense to me.

I NEVER use the F-settings and I am almost always satisfied with what the computer manager or Hal does with my bullpen!

milleram

PostSun Aug 04, 2013 10:53 am

in reply to "mondreyes" post---sorry I haven't checked to forums for a few days

I am an old strat card player from 60's-70s that just found the online game this April.

I would advise you to read the all the strategy posts you can find before you draft a team (if you haven't yet)----and beware of BP HR ratings---I made the mistake of Turner field with my first team which is 1-7 BP HR----I assumed an average of 1-10 counting the 81 road games--that was a big mistake---Turner is much closer to a pitchers park than a hitters park when it comes to HR

The strategy posts say go with an average field for your 1st team---about the only thing I would argue with in strategy posts for new players-----I would go for an extreme park one way or the other -- go for ob.pct., speed, doubles in a pitchers park --- ob.pct., HR in a hitters park.

Also draft the better players from parks similar to the one you picked if it is a pitchers park.

Valen

PostThu Oct 10, 2013 5:35 pm

A good explanation but I would add a bit. The F number is the fatigue factor. The higher the F number the stronger the pitcher is. Think of it as a measure of what the pitcher has left in the tank. F9 is a full tank. Anything less and fatigue is setting in.

The @ on the card is meaningless and not used with the computerized advanced fatigue system. Instead the computer internally punishes a pitcher for being fatigued. Many of us believe the mechanism for doing this is to shift rolls from the pitcher card to the batters cards.

gbrookes

PostFri Oct 11, 2013 9:04 am

Radagast Brown wrote:Why would you have David Price, one of the best starting pitchers in the set, on quick hook? That does not make ANY sense to me.

I NEVER use the F-settings and I am almost always satisfied with what the computer manager or Hal does with my bullpen!

There are a lot of different ways to manage your pitchers. I think of these settings as giving you lots of strategy options. I think there's a wide variety of approaches being used by managers.

My approach with Price (and many pitchers and situations) is this - I like to set him on F8 so that HAL doesn't give him a needless quick hook, which he does sometimes. But IF Price STARTS to tire - i.e. goes to F8 or F7, THEN I want HAL to pull him quickly - but only once he's already started to tire. I like this setting for good starting pitchers, to get the best of both worlds - lots of good innings, but then bring in the ace relievers quickly once he starts to tire.

arslen

PostWed Oct 30, 2013 1:19 pm

why are runners with a 8 rating are sent a extra base only to get thrown out!

gbrookes

PostWed Oct 30, 2013 2:45 pm

arslen wrote:why are runners with a 8 rating are sent a extra base only to get thrown out!

Good question. Can you send the URL web link from the game play by play?

If the odds were 1-8, I would do this if there were 2 outs, and if the game was either tied or was a 1 run game, if I thought that the odds of getting a hit were low for the next batter up. If the next batter up walks a lot, I would also consider the next batter after that. If their odds of getting a hit to score the run are low, then I personally WOULD send the runner with 1-8 odds. I.e. 8 out of 20 is a 40% chance. With a poor hitter up, I'd try running the base at 40% odds.

My answer also assumes that there isn't a great pinch hitter available. If there was a great hitter available to pinch hit, then I would hold the runner at third base.
Previous

Return to General Strategy