Strategy for Hitters Park

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

bertolett

Strategy for Hitters Park

PostThu May 23, 2013 4:17 pm

I'm relatively new.

Seems like advice on winning in pitcher's parks is everywhere.

And it's not hard to figure out the players needed for Progressive, Fenway, etc.

What about a park like Cellular. Do you then spend more $ on pitching than you would in AT&T. Or just focus on BP HRs?

If I had a Cellular team today, the only things I could think to value in particular would be: SLG and BP HRs (hitters and pitchers).

You read about defense up the middle for these pitcher teams. Is it less important in Cellular?

Anyway, right now, I don't want to come out of my comfort zone of using a L or R leaning park. At least I know I have some home field advantage.

andycummings65

Re: Strategy for Hitters Park

PostThu May 23, 2013 6:28 pm

My strategy for playing a Bomber Park (I assume you mean this as opposed to Hitting Park--Forbes57 is a Hitter's Park too) simplified is this:
Spend on Offense( I do make sure I have at least one "1" at SS or 2b, along with a "1" in CF)
Spend on a Deep, Strong Pen
DON'T Spend a lot on SP

In short: I want an Offense that won't let up, and I want my best pitchers pitching at the END of the game, when the other guy's SP has been chased and my Offense is lighting up his bullpen.

In the old days of Strat, with a small player pool, the DRAFT "trimmed the field", so to speak. In other words, if I got the Bomber guys I wanted in the draft, not only did I get the guys I needed, NO ONE ELSE GOT THEM, so I didn't have to FACE them , because the pool was shallow. With our current huge player pool, I feel that trimming the amount of players who will be successful in your park is even more important, since we now have a very deep player pool. So my advice for Bomber Parks in the current Strat iteration, find a way to trim the field. For example, POLO41 trims the field somewhat, rewarding Walks and Home Runs, while cutting Singles, making HR hitters with OBP (through Walks) more successful. (Lefty and Righty Parks, by their very nature, trim the field.) I want to curtail the strengths of other teams by picking a park that limits them in some way, while playing to my team's strengths.

I have seen guys play Bomber Parks with strong SPs, but that has never worked for me.
gkhd11a employs a different kind of strategy for Fenway67, more of a smallball type strategy that works for him (my description oversimplifies his strategy)

arslen

PostWed May 29, 2013 11:59 pm

this game is flawed,, the computer pulls my stud starter then brings in a R-L pitcher vs a R-E hiter,, then to add insult to injury,, brings in my L-R pitcher vs a L-L hitter,,,,,,,,, of course I lost the game

durantjerry

PostSat Jun 01, 2013 6:59 am

The above post is the conventional strategy approach for a HR park. Hitters w/ ballpark HR's and "N" power, cheaper starting pitchers without ballpark HR's, a good relief pitcher or two, and the more defense you can combine with those ballpark HR's, the better off you will be. Cheat on defense in the corners for offense and to play a "3" rated defenser in the middle the guy has to be really supplying some very good offense.
Here is a team with really good SP's in a hitting park. Not the usual approach, but trying something different as the two top guys were both available. Could have used another solid RP, but had a cash shortage and Gorz has not come through as hoped.
http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/team/1104529

arslen

PostWed Jun 05, 2013 12:39 pm

got to take in acco unt the rest of the ball parks you will be playing in.................. and there pitching payrolls , plus there defense, since defense is indirectly increasing your pitching payroll............

durantjerry

PostFri Jun 07, 2013 12:22 pm

got to take in acco unt the rest of the ball parks you will be playing in.................. and there pitching payrolls , plus there defense, since defense is indirectly increasing your pitching payroll............

I don't really think this is true. You have committed to the hitters park strategy before you know what anyone else is doing. You are really stuck with what you have regardless of what anyone else is doing. Of course, if there are three Petco's in your division you may want to tone down the #HR's a bit, but who cares what their pitching payrolls or defense look like. If you choose US Cell before a draft, you are pretty much stuck with whatever approach you chose to go with. I still don't get how someone else's pitching payroll or their defense is even relevant?

arslen

PostSat Jun 08, 2013 9:50 am

yes I agree with you......... .... half your games will be played at your park. what I do is get the avg. of the other parks..... putting more weight vs parks in your division ............... then make adjustments, if needed

Return to General Strategy