Strategy Forum/Newbie Advice Thread

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

gbrookes

Re: Strategy Forum/Newbie Advice Thread

PostFri May 03, 2013 2:01 pm

STEVE F wrote:One article in the playing tips section stated that in the playoffs you should save your best non-asterisk starter for game 3. I don't understand the logic in that. Could someone elaborate? here is the quote:

"A strategy often overseen, though, for teams whose rotation mostly relies on RELIEVERS , is to have, other things being equal, your best non *SP for the third game, in case your relievers were used for both game 1 and 2. If such a thing happen, then you'll be able to set your best pitcher appropriately for game 3. Furthermore, he will still be available for games 2 and 7 in the Finals. And even if you don't use your best relievers in the first two games, your best starter might give a very beneficial complete game in game 3, so that your relievers get the call for both game 4 and 5. "

Sorry you had to post this question twice, Steve. I will try to answer questions like this when I am able to, if someone else doesn't get to it first.

Answer - this post was written when the semi-finals were best of 5 series. The semi's have been best of 7 series for a while now. But when they were best of 5 series, in order to have a non * SP available for 2 games in the finals (e.g. game 2 and game 7), he had to start no later than game 3 of the best of 5 semi-finals:

Game 3 - Non* SP pitches
Rest days - game 4, game 5, rest day between series, game 1 of finals.
And then the same non* SP pitcher is good to pitch again in game 2 of the finals.

If you had started that good Non* SP pitcher in games 4 or 5 of the best of 5 semi's, then he would not have been available until game 3 or 4 of the finals, and so would be limited to only 1 start in the finals.

This relief pitcher strategy made great sense in a best of 5 series - e.g.:

Games 1 & 2 - lots of good relief pitching
Game 3 - long start by a good non* SP starter, and rest your bullpen so they're fresh for game 4 of semi's
Games 4 & 5 - lots of relief pitching
Rest day
And again your relief pitchers are ready to go for game 1 of the finals.

This strategy is less relevant now that the semi's are a best of 7 series as well. What's interesting about the back-to-back 7 game series is that if you have to use your best non*SP starters in games 6 or 7 of the semi's, then they can only pitch once in the finals - unless you can win the semi's more quickly and avoid either the 6th or 7th game.

If you have a primarily *SP staff, where they can pitch after 3 days rest, then you can have your best *SP start in games 1 and 5 of the semi's, and games 1 and 5 of the finals. Your next best * SP can start in games 2 and 6 of both semi's and finals. Your third best SP* can start in games 3 and 7 of both series. So the back to back 7 game series may influence your choice of starting 4 SP's* for winning playoffs - e.g. maybe 3 strong starters and 1 not so strong, since the 4th starter will likely only start once in each 7 game series.

The original advice could still be relevant if you have a best of 5 series - for example, in the first playoff round in a 24 team league, which is still a best of 5 series. But even then, if your non* SP starts in game 3 of the first playoff series, he will get to start twice in the semi's, but only once in the finals.

In a 24 team league playoff, you basically have to choose whether your non* SP will start twice in the semi's, or twice in the finals, since he can't do both of those things. No matter what, though, he can't start more than 4 times in the entire playoffs. Interestingly, a stud *SP could start 6 times in the playoffs - games 1 and 5 of the quarter final round, and games 3 and 7 of each succeeding round - but only if all series went the maximum games!
Last edited by gbrookes on Fri May 03, 2013 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

STEVE F

PostFri May 03, 2013 2:16 pm

Thanks Gbrookes
SO, it is NOT possible to go with a 3 man rotation for the entire playoffs? It seems like it would be with the rest days?

gbrookes

PostFri May 03, 2013 2:19 pm

^^ I'm not sure if I understand your follow-up question correctly or not - but.... for a 7 game series, with all *SP's, you would still need your "weak" starter to start in game 4 of each series, while your better starters (with *SP) could start games 1&5, 2&6 and 3&7 in each series.

Steve, please note that I just edited my previous post, to correct a couple of my thoughts, and to expand on the potential impact of a 24 team league playoff.

STEVE F

PostFri May 03, 2013 2:26 pm

yes that answers it. I was assuming there were rest days between games 2 and 3 and between games 5 and 6, like in real life

gbrookes

PostSat May 04, 2013 9:21 am

STEVE F wrote:yes that answers it. I was assuming there were rest days between games 2 and 3 and between games 5 and 6, like in real life

If you go to the following page, and then click on "Schedule" under "The Playoffs" you'll find this information on rest days:

http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/help/rules

"After the regular season ends on Friday night, the first round of the Playoffs starts on Monday night. There are two simulated rest days before the first round starts, and one simulated rest day before each subsequent round. "

There is more information than this, so I encourage players to read through this page (and all of its detailed contents) and become familiar with all of the contents.

This information can be found by clicking on the game drop down menu at the far right, under "Info Help" and "Game Rules".

Basically, the rest days can be expressed as a rule, as follows:

There are 2 rest days immediately after the regular season ends, and 1 rest day after the last scheduled game of each playoff series (usually after game 7, but could be after game 5 of the opening round of 24 team league playoffs). Also, if a playoff series doesn't require the maximum number of games, each playoff game not played is a rest day.

So if a best of 7 series is decided in 5 games (4-1), then the days that would have been games 6 and 7 are effectively rest days, as well as the standard 1 rest day between playoff series.

Otherwise, all games are deemed to arise on consecutive real life days.

Palmtana

gbrookes

PostTue May 14, 2013 11:49 am

bertolett

PostTue May 14, 2013 12:33 pm

My uninformed newbie opinion:

Unless you are obsessed with SP* pitchers, you would put your must-have hitters at the top. Then again, I don't know if 2012 is typical but EVERYONE seems to try to get 4 SP* pitchers in my leagues. So then maybe those people have to put those higher?

I found that idea of trying to fail at the draft bizarre. If I'm Progressive, I don't think "Gee, I hope I don't get Moss." There's definitely some players who are unique and there's no point in not trying to get them in the draft before waivers.

STEVE F

PostTue May 14, 2013 7:07 pm

I am done wasting my first choice on Moss. I've listed him three out of three and never get him.

wrc520

PostWed May 15, 2013 9:15 am

What Are The Effects Of Using my 3 Top Pitchers (No Astrix) On 3 Days Rest In The Playoffs?
PreviousNext

Return to General Strategy