Strategy Forum/Newbie Advice thread

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

the ghost of roger maris

Re: Strategy Forum/Newbie Advice Thread

PostSat Apr 08, 2017 6:12 am

can't recall where I read it
but I seem to recall that if a player can steal at a 72% or higher clip that is worth it and less is not,,,,

I ask as I have Altuve,Trout, Trea Turner, followed by Sanchez and Votto
so far I think their speed and SB have been a positive....
all 3 are set to steal more except vs teams with good hold pitchers and cannon arms at catcher...
I am leading league in sbs and runs.....
vivan Correcaminos! Andale! Andale!

Palmtana

PostSun Apr 09, 2017 9:12 pm

70%-75% is what you want to shoot for.

Read this very thorough post by cummings2 to see how you get there.

the ghost of roger maris

PostMon Apr 10, 2017 3:19 am

Palmtana wrote:70%-75% is what you want to shoot for.

Read this very thorough post by cummings2 to see how you get there.

thanks
I calcuated odds for a theft with good lead and odds for theft with bad lead...
then eyeball the opponents catcher and pitchers...
then check or uncheck steal more as needed..
so far my top 4 basestealers all in mid 70s and the next threat about 68% (smaller sample size)
vivan Correcaminos! Andale! Andale!

milleram

PostMon Apr 10, 2017 10:33 pm

One thing I don't see in that tread is the players that stole one or two bases--didn't get thrown out and have a 2/- (20-6) rating---those guys get picked off more often than they get the lead.

3.5% (1/20 x .7) to get picked off, 2.78% (1/36) to get a lead, and even if they do get a lead they can still get thrown out with good hold ratings. I always set those types to "do not steal".

I don't like the odds for a 3/- (20/6) either, though its 5.6% to get a lead, it still isn't near the 75% safe minimum I like. Even a 4/- (20/6) is only 70% odds over a pickoff if he never gets caught stealing after he gets a lead.

Pickoffs don't count as a caught stealing in stats either, even though pickoffs never happen unless you try to get the lead--so the stats can be misleading with guys that have a low percentage lead rating.

Palmtana

PostSun Jun 11, 2017 9:47 pm

Pitcher park advice

How do you guys do it?

Fjeff68

PostWed Aug 09, 2017 9:42 pm

Hoping for some newbie advice...

6 whole games into my first team, and I'm trying to figure out which of my 80's players might be on the worst year of the 5. Can someone explain how to read the play-by-play? (I searched the forums and came up empty. I always have a tough time with the search function in forums like this.)

The first column has things like "0", "1", "2" in some innings, and "1 2", "2 2", "2 2 3". What is this telling me?

The third column has a single digit from 1-7. I assumed this determined which card and column to reference - 1-3 hitters, 4-6 pitchers. But what's with the 7?

Fifth column has "b-0", "b-1", "1-2", "2-h b-h". No clue what this is trying to tell me.

Last column has F9. I assumed this was pitchers fatigue rating, but some games have F9 all the way through the game. Does this mean neither pitcher had an issue with fatigue?

In my first game's play-by-play, Ron Guidry gave up a HR, to a lefty, with a "6" in column 3. There is only one year (his worst) that has "HR" in that column. I assumed this meant I must have pulled Guidry's worst year. However, I noticed two hitters earlier, the play-by-play says "HBP" and again references "6". Guidry doesnt have "HBP" in ANY column, on ANY year.

Anyone know how I'm reading these wrong? Or how this is possible?

Thanks guys!

FJ

coyote303

PostWed Aug 09, 2017 10:24 pm

Fjeff68 wrote:Hoping for some newbie advice...

6 whole games into my first team, and I'm trying to figure out which of my 80's players might be on the worst year of the 5. Can someone explain how to read the play-by-play? (I searched the forums and came up empty. I always have a tough time with the search function in forums like this.)

The first column has things like "0", "1", "2" in some innings, and "1 2", "2 2", "2 2 3". What is this telling me?

The third column has a single digit from 1-7. I assumed this determined which card and column to reference - 1-3 hitters, 4-6 pitchers. But what's with the 7?

Fifth column has "b-0", "b-1", "1-2", "2-h b-h". No clue what this is trying to tell me.

Last column has F9. I assumed this was pitchers fatigue rating, but some games have F9 all the way through the game. Does this mean neither pitcher had an issue with fatigue?

In my first game's play-by-play, Ron Guidry gave up a HR, to a lefty, with a "6" in column 3. There is only one year (his worst) that has "HR" in that column. I assumed this meant I must have pulled Guidry's worst year. However, I noticed two hitters earlier, the play-by-play says "HBP" and again references "6". Guidry doesnt have "HBP" in ANY column, on ANY year.

Anyone know how I'm reading these wrong? Or how this is possible?

Thanks guys!

FJ

The Mystery game does not tell you which column you rolled. That would defeat the purpose of mystery cards; it would be way too easy to tell which season you have. The third column is simply telling you the number of pitches thrown to that batter. Not exactly useful!

The first column shows where your baserunners were for that hitter. (e.g., 0 = bases empty).

The fifth column shows you where the batter and each runner ended up after the play. (e.g., b-h = the batter made it to home, obviously hitting a homerun. 1-2 = runner on first went to second. 2-o = runner on second was put out on the play.)

The Fx in the last column shows the fatigue rating after the batter bats. Yes, there are plenty of games where the starting pitcher never fatigues.

Read and re-read the first (and only pinned) topic in the 60s,70s,80s,90s forum for tips on determining which season your players have. The second entry in that topic has an important link to more information. Biggest mistake rookie managers make is giving up on a player too soon without hard evidence they have a bad card.

Fjeff68

PostWed Aug 09, 2017 11:45 pm

Thanks for the advice on the etiquette and the play-by-play! Sorry about the double post. After I posted here, and noticed it was about 18 pages deep into the thread, I thought it might be invisible. I wondered if maybe I was better off starting a new topic.

As for the play-by-play, I think I'm still missing something. In one of my first games, my first three hitters went 1-2-3 - all on K's. But the first column read 0, 1, 2 going down. No baserunners that inning. Wait...this makes sense now...It looks like that's OUTS shown first, then occupied bases second. So 1 1 2 3 means one out, bases loaded. 2 2 is two out, man on second. Got it!

Not giving up on Guidry just yet! (Although in 3 starts his ERA is 10.20!)

Thanks again! Learning every day!

FJ

Palmtana

PostSat Sep 23, 2017 9:01 pm

Palmtana

PostThu Nov 23, 2017 11:51 am

“The deuces are wild. Two on, two out, 2-and-2 count as Hershiser enters his wind-up.” Vin Scully’s signature call.

This thread will soon reach 22,222 views.

I’ll transfer a credit to the first who posts the phrase Vin used to introduce his Dodger broadcasts.

It’s not a difficult search. I’m in a mood of Giving. Thanks.
PreviousNext

Return to General Strategy