Baseball Rules on "Walks".......

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

bh327

Baseball Rules on "Walks".......

PostWed May 18, 2022 12:32 am

Been a long time Strat board game guy. This is not a Strat Rule but a real Baseball rule I need to find out the answer too. I was at a High school baseball game this week. Now I,ve played league ball up until college and know every rule I thought. I had to think on this one and actually wasn't sure on the rule.

.... There was a batter that walked 3 times in the game with nobody on base each time. He takes "Ball Four" and runs down to first full speed ala "Pete Rose " style. He actually passed first base because he was running so fast. He continued down the line for 10 feet or so and came back to the bag. He never made the turn towards second but walked back to first in a straight line.

Can the defense tag him out before he gets back to first, even though he didn't make the turn towards secondbase on a walk? I know if its a single or error or wild throw , the baserunner can be tagged out if he makes that quick move to second. Who knows why this kid passed the bag three times on a walk in a straight line. Kids.....hahahaha.

Like I said it was Pete Rose I believe did this but he stopped at first running at a high speed without passing the base. I have never seen a player do this on a "walk" Obviously if he makes the turn then he can be tagged out before getting back to first. Any thoughts? My thought the rule might be the same as someone passing the base on a "run through the bag play"....and a "walk" is no different'? Thanks everyone. Big Bruce

barrmorris

Re: Baseball Rules on "Walks".......

PostTue May 24, 2022 1:04 pm

Here's a discussion of that question

https://umpire-empire.com/topic/69172-p ... er-a-walk/

Looks like the runner can overrun first. Also looks like high school rules were different at some point but now conform to other levels. I also found discussions of the same question on other sites that addressed softball rules.

bh327

Re: Baseball Rules on "Walks".......

PostMon May 30, 2022 9:51 am

Thanks barrmorris.

Its a odd kind of play but I was just curious. I dont think I ever seen it happen on the major league level. My guess again is treated the same a batter running through the bag without making the attempt to go to secondbase.

Return to General Strategy