Deadball Era Team Advice

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

MARKSERRI

Deadball Era Team Advice

PostSat May 07, 2022 12:01 pm

I am currently playing in a 5 year type historical league pickling players in 5 year increments.

I'm normally an Earl Weaver 2 walks and a three rum homer guy ,but I tried to go out of the box and draft a high average, great pitching , zero power, deadball , speed team.
the results haven't been great
We play in Griffith 24 and actually have a significantly worse record at home. Out lineup leans slightly to the left side,
The team was getting thrown out too much on steal attempts,(.680) and I found many of those guy's with high steal totals were thrown out quite a bit historically or had no caught stealing totals and were heavily penalized(despite having aa ratings sometimes), so I set it for conservative stealing and the percentages creeped up(about .711 now). I have the running at very aggressive and that has worked out, I have hit and run and bunting at at conservative as I found that because these guys had high ratings to that regards they were making too many hat and run and bunting attempts .
Even set at conservative we are close to the league lead in hit nd run attempts.
I don't want Ty Cobb and his .420 average bunting in the first inning. But maybe I'm wrong. I always felt if you played for one run that's all you'll get but MAYBE these sorts teams need to do just that. My starters are all quality but two have team only have an 8 endurance and our bullpen is pretty non existent. I have the 4 man starters set at quick hook f3

Any advice on this kind of team?
Thanks so much in advance
The settings
Should I have chosen an even more friendly pitchers park
We only have a 16 run differential , but we are 11 under 500, could it just be luck?
Any advice would be really great. I know it's hard to give away trade secrets , so I'll take any advice you'd care to give.
I'd like to try this again, but with better results.

Palmtana

Re: Deadball Era Team Advice

PostSat May 07, 2022 3:27 pm

Let me know and I can copy this to the ATG Forum where you may get more advice than here.

MARKSERRI

PostSat May 07, 2022 11:47 pm

That would be great

MaxPower

PostSun May 08, 2022 2:24 am

If you go into Hitter Prefs you can set certain guys to never steal/bunt/hit and run. Your instinct that Cobb should not be bunting or hit and running is absolutely correct, only the weakest hitters should be doing those things.

STEVENSTEFFANNI

PostSun May 08, 2022 8:17 am

The most successful team will almost always be set up like a softball team...good luck

tmfw30

PostMon May 09, 2022 4:21 pm

To use your Weaver analogy - instead of 2 walks and three run homer, go for 2 walks and a 2-run triple. Go for OBP and extra base hits. Play your cards right and you'll lead the league in runs ahead of the bomber teams.

Return to General Strategy