Pitcher Fatigue

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

Sheldonfd

Pitcher Fatigue

PostSat Apr 10, 2021 10:25 pm

In “Pitcher Preferences” and Category “Don’t Rel. B4”, how do you quantify F8 - F0? I set my S9* pitchers at F3. I am not sure if I am using this setting correctly. Thank you.

andycummings65

Re: Pitcher Fatigue

PostSat Apr 10, 2021 10:35 pm

F8 is slight fatigue, F0 is completely fatigued. But its not a running scale, like F8, then F7, then F6, and so on.
A pitcher may go from F9 to F8, or he may go from F9 to F4 to F0.

My opinion, you have to decide if your fatigued starter is still better than your pen, and, unless he is, get that fatigued starter out.
Pitchers tend to fall precipitously once they begin to fatigue.

I usually only set my ace pitcher to Don't Relieve Before F8.

freeman

PostSun Apr 11, 2021 2:04 am

This is not a setting you have to use. It really depends on the make-up of your team. If I have weak starters and a good and sufficiently deep bullpen, I would probably just have quick hook. If I want my pitcher to go deeper into games then I just leave the settings blank. It's only if I have really good starters that I go to F0 to F8 settings, because that really does mean Hal WILL not take your pitcher out until he reaches that fatigue setting. Probably more true with ATG but Ive also used it in 20XX is to just to go with 4 elite starters and dont believe before F3 or F0 and go with a minimum in the bullpen. It's an art how to balance all these things--different managers have different opinions, I am a little more aggressive with putting settimgs below F8 while Andy is more conservative--and you just kind of figure it out from experience.

coyote303

PostSun Apr 11, 2021 3:37 pm

I set my very best pitchers to F8 and leave the rest blank.

Sheldonfd

PostTue Apr 13, 2021 2:29 pm

Thank you for your comments. I have spent most of my pitcher cap money on s9* pitchers so my relievers are limited. One pitcher is constantly getting bombed - quick hook isn’t quick enough!

coyote303

PostWed Apr 14, 2021 2:26 am

Sheldonfd wrote:Thank you for your comments. I have spent most of my pitcher cap money on s9* pitchers so my relievers are limited. One pitcher is constantly getting bombed - quick hook isn’t quick enough!

Just remember if you don't leave the Don't Rel. B4 setting blank (e.g., you set it to say F8), quick hook won't have any effect.

Sheldonfd

PostWed Apr 14, 2021 8:57 pm

Thank you. I am a little confused on F8 - F0. Does F8 mean you leave your pitcher in the shortest, and F0 the longest?

andycummings65

PostWed Apr 14, 2021 9:49 pm

Sheldonfd wrote:Thank you. I am a little confused on F8 - F0. Does F8 mean you leave your pitcher in the shortest, and F0 the longest?

The Fatigue rating goes from
F9-NOT fatigued
F8-slightly fatigued
F7 and so on....
All the way down to F0-completely fatigued.

You as manager get to decide IF you want to leave a pitcher in who begins to fatigue, and to what Fatigue level you are comfortable leaving him in.
Pitchers fatigue at different speeds, there is no set rule for how it occurs.

Timo39

PostSat Mar 19, 2022 5:11 am

coyote303 wrote:
Sheldonfd wrote:Thank you for your comments. I have spent most of my pitcher cap money on s9* pitchers so my relievers are limited. One pitcher is constantly getting bombed - quick hook isn’t quick enough!

Just remember if you don't leave the Don't Rel. B4 setting blank (e.g., you set it to say F8), quick hook won't have any effect.

Does that mean slow hook also has no effect if don't rel. b4 setting is not blank?

coyote303

PostMon Mar 21, 2022 1:23 am

Timo39 wrote:...
Does that mean slow hook also has no effect if don't rel. b4 setting is not blank?

It should have little or no effect. Slow hook would be ignored until your pitcher reaches whatever F-rating you set him for. Once he is fatigued, I suppose there is a chance he would stay in for another batter based on slow hook. However, pitchers fatigue very quickly once they drop below F9.

Perhaps someone who makes extensive use of slow hook (I don't) can offer more.

Return to General Strategy