Question on closer usage

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

Danchiacchia

Question on closer usage

PostTue Nov 24, 2020 2:52 pm

For the more recent seasons that have a C rating for relief pitchers, what is the impact of using relievers with non C ratings in closer situations? Do they immediately become fatigued to an F8?

coyote303

Re: Question on closer usage

PostThu Nov 26, 2020 3:50 pm

You absolutely want to have someone available with a closer rating for closer situations. In addition to a good closer, I always maintained* a cheap closer whose only bullpen role was second closer in case the main closer wasn't available.

*I use past tense because I now only play the 60s mystery league, which doesn't use closer rules. The 90s is the only mystery league which does. All of the recent single seasons use it.

Danchiacchia

Re: Question on closer usage

PostThu Nov 26, 2020 4:59 pm

coyote303 wrote:You absolutely want to have someone available with a closer rating for closer situations. In addition to a good closer, I always maintained* a cheap closer whose only bullpen role was second closer in case the main closer wasn't available.

*I use past tense because I now only play the 60s mystery league, which doesn't use closer rules. The 90s is the only mystery league which does. All of the recent single seasons use it.

Great, thanks!

Return to General Strategy