Garcia's Blog 9/30/15- Mystery Set Common Questions

• Author

JohnG

Garcia's Blog 9/30/15- Mystery Set Common Questions

PostFri Sep 30, 2016 8:29 am

Hi guys,

Sorry I wasn't able to make a post yesterday but I hope you'll be ok with a Friday morning post instead. Luckily we do have a good one with 5 users winning a free credit to Baseball 365!

rustystaub
coolhandlewke
Jforgach21
gsnsn2
The Last Druid

Congrats guys!

We've had questions come in about the Mystery Set often over the past couple weeks so today I want to hopefully clear up some common questions about it.

Every player in a mystery set has 5 potential cards that may be used during the season. The user is not revealed which of these cards are used, however the computer does randomly determine only one that is used throughout the season. Trading the player or releasing them does not re-determine the card, the same is used throughout the season even when a transaction takes place.

Now, the stat line shown for each player is the average of the 5 seasons. However don't use that to determine how a player 'should' perform for you as it might not represent the card you have. Also, no two players are the same; even if they're averages are similar. For example, let's say both Player A and Player B show a 5-card average of .300. However in Player A's 5 seasons he hit .361, .300, .306, .293, and .240. Player B hit .300 in all 5 of his seasons. Do you take the chance on Player A to try and get his .361 season or do you play it safe and take Player B knowing you will get a card which hit .300. That choice is up to you and these crucial decisions can determine how your team performs. To view the 5 possible seasons a player has, just click on their name and you can see the cards just like any other player set.

Although the year is never revealed, most users can try to determine some of the cards they have from results which rarely occur and injuries! HBP is a frequent one that I use. If I see a HBP, I automatically look to rule out seasons that don't have one. HR on a side where some cards have W power and no HRs on the card are another one. For injuries, look to see what result the injury occured on and the length. If the length is for 15 games, you know that the batter card must have less than 599 AB+BB since an injury limit did not kick in.

The lineup backup system for the the Mystery Player Sets are a little different than regular sets. First, if the usual Lineup Depth Chart logic cannot determine a specific player to start at a given position, OR the position is left blank in your lineup preferences, the game engine will choose a substitution from the bench based on highest salary.

However, assuming the game engine will find a backup, it will plug them in to the lineup directly into the same spot in the order the injured player had. The only time the game will not do this is if the game engine could not find a healthy backup. In that case the engine will first take all healthy starters in your lineup preferences, plus defensive positions where the usual Lineup Depth Chart logic found intended backups for any injured starters, and push them to the top of the lineup, preserving their relative order. Then, for any defensive positions in the lineup that the game engine had to choose a substitution based on salary, the game engine will place them behind the first group of players, in the following specific position order:

CF, 2B, DH (if any), 1B, RF, 3B, LF, C, SS, P (if any)

Examples:
If you leave your lineup completely blank, the game engine will select a full lineup with the highest combined salary, and order them exactly as above: CF, 2B, DH (if any), etc.

If you have a full lineup set, but your 1B (batting 5th) is injured, but your listed backup at 1B is healthy, the backup will start at 1B and bat in the same slot in the lineup: 5th (as normal).

If you have a full lineup set, but your 1B, and all his Lineup Depth Chart backups, are injured, the game engine will choose a 1B from your bench based on salary, and put him last in the lineup (in front of the Pitcher, if applicable).

You set your lineup to be 3. Mays (CF), 6. Mathews (3B), 8. McCovey (1B), and all other slots/positions blank. Mathews is injured for the game, but you have Sal Bando listed as your first backup 3B. In this case, the game engine would move Mays (CF), Bando (3B), McCovey (1B) to 1-2-3, and then the rest of the lineup behind them will be 2B, DH (if any), RF, LF, C, SS, P (if any).

That's all I have for this week. As always, if anyone has any questions please let us know at 365support@strat-o-matic.com. Talk to everyone next week!

-John

Return to Garcia's Blog