Garcia's Blog 5/12/16- Closers

• Author

JohnG

Garcia's Blog 5/12/16- Closers

PostThu May 12, 2016 4:13 pm

Hey guys,

I know I did this fairly recently but we got a couple questions about this just in the last week so I wanted to go over it again. The closer rule and the closer rating.

Every relief pitcher gets a closer rating when their card is created. These ratings range from 0-6, with 6 being the most frequent and successful closers. Pitchers who don't have a closer rating and only display the traditional relief rating are rated 'N' closers. Only the 20xx, Daily Game, 1999, and 90s Mystery Game player sets use the closer rule. If you don't play any of these sets, you don't need to worry as the closer rule does not apply (even if a rating is displayed).

What is it? Well, the closer rating is the number of outs a relief pitcher can go in a "closer situation" without being recognized as fatigued. However a Strat-O-Matic "closer situation" is not the same as a save situation. A "closer situation" is defined the pitching team having the lead in the 9th inning or later and the tying run on base or at bat. This means that the closer rating will not be applied in some save situations. A 3-run lead in the 9th inning with no one on base does not trigger this closer rule. The regular reliever usage rule stays in effect.

After becoming vulnerable to fatigue, a reliever must allow a hit or a walk to become fatigued. If a reliever is already in the game and it becomes a closer situation, his closer rating gets reduced by the number of outs he has already recorded. Pitchers with an N rating are treated the same as 0 rated closer and are automatically fatigued in a "closer situation" once allowing either a hit or a walk.

Of course, Baseball 365 uses the pitch-count computer-only rule not the exact board game rule. The computer will generate a 'suggested pitch count' for every pitcher based on rest and his endurance rating. Fatigue is then gradual once he reaches his pitch count rather than immediately when he gives up baserunners. Despite this, the suggested pitch count will change for relievers in a closer situation to account for their closer rating.

Due to this if you're designated closer has a poor closer rating, he may enter the game already fatigued or fatigue very quickly after entering into a closer situation. Remember to keep these rules in mind when selecting your closer for one of these player sets. The last thing you want is a closer tiring in a big spot because he has a 0 closer rating!

That's all I have for this week. If anyone has any questions please let us know at 365support@strat-o-matic.com. Talk to everyone next week!

-John

Return to Garcia's Blog