Garcia's Blog 12/3/15- Closers/November Lottery

• Author

JohnG

Garcia's Blog 12/3/15- Closers/November Lottery

PostThu Dec 03, 2015 5:17 pm

Hey guys,

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving weekend!

Before I get into the main topic today I wanted to mention our current Free Shipping promotion! Although online credits are obviously not included, for anyone who plays or would like to try our board game products now is the time to add or start your card collection! Spend $50 on an order, get free shipping! Or spend $100 on an order, get free shipping PLUS 10% off your order!

Orders must be placed before 12:00 Noon ET on Wednesday, December 9th in order to be eligible for the promotion.

No discount code is required and the discount will automatically apply when you hit the threshold. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Online Game Credits and Digital Gift Cards cannot be used towards the subtotal. Free shipping can only be applied to locations in the contiguous United States. Read here for more!

Also, our November lottery ran. Congrats to the following five users for winning a free credit!

stratfantodd
Chompsky
tigertim176
joeoc
campe18

Ok, on to the closer rule. This is another question we get often enough that I felt I should bring it up today. Every relief pitcher gets a closer rating when their card is created. These ratings range from 0-6, with 6 being the most frequent and successful closers. Pitchers who don't have a closer rating and only display the traditional relief rating are rated 'N' closers. Only the 20xx, 1999, and 90s Mystery Game player sets use the closer rule. If your not playing one of these sets, you should not factor the closer rating into your decisions!

This closer rating is the number of outs a relief pitcher can go in a "closer situation" without being recognized as fatigued. However a Strat-O-Matic "closer situation" is not the same as a save situation. A "closer situation" is defined the pitching team having the lead in the 9th inning or later and the tying run on base or at bat.

After becoming vulnerable to fatigue, a reliever must allow a hit or a walk to become fatigued. If a reliever is already in the game and it becomes a closer situation, his closer rating gets reduced by the number of outs he has already recorded. Pitchers with an N rating are treated the same as 0 rated closer and are automatically fatigued in a "closer situation" once allowing either a hit or a walk.

Due to this if you're designated closer has a poor closer rating, he may enter the game already fatigued or fatigue very quickly after entering. Keep these rules in mind when selecting your closer. The last thing you want is a closer tiring in a big spot because he has a 0 closer rating!

That's all I have for this week. As always, please write in to onlinegamesupport@strat-o-matic.com if you have any questions. I'll talk to everyone next Thursday!

-John

Return to Garcia's Blog