Garcia's Blog 10/29/15- Fielding Ratings

• Author

JohnG

Garcia's Blog 10/29/15- Fielding Ratings

PostThu Oct 29, 2015 4:37 pm

Hey guys,

We had a question come in recently asking how to evaluate defense compared to offense numbers of a card or how to create a total value of a card. The best source that I use to do this is Dean Carrano's Offense vs Defense article found here.

While people may already have their own system for evaluating hitters, this article provides a formula to use that creates a single number to evaluate a hitter by. The formula is shown here:

(TB * .318) + ((BB+HBP-CS-GIDP) * .333) + (H * .25) + (SB * .2) - (AB * .085)

Plugging in strat-o-matic numbers on it, AB = 108 – (BB + HBP), SB = [(real-life SB) / (real-life PA)] * 216, and CS = [(real-life CS) / (real-life PA)] * 216. The rest can be used by plugging in the correct combos on their card, using only 18.75% of the GBA to account for double play opportunities. You can also adjust these by ballpark effects if you know those as well.

Once you get that number, the defense part is easy. The last two pages of the article list a value for every range/e-rating combination that should be subtracted from the offensive number to create a total value. It's also a great tool to use to easily compare players, especially those with a better range rating but worse error rating.

I won't go on too much into detail about it as everything can be found in the article itself. I will say that I do use this as my primary source when creating a team though and it's worked very well for me.

I'll leave everyone here for today. As always, please e-mail any questions to onlinegamesupport@strat-o-matic.com. Talk to everyone next Thursday!

-John

Return to Garcia's Blog