Garcia's Blog 7/23/15- Closer Rule

• Author

JohnG

Garcia's Blog 7/23/15- Closer Rule

PostThu Jul 23, 2015 4:03 pm

Hey guys,

Thanks again to those who voted for which teams they wanted to add to ATG. We are working on adding those players to the game but it will take a few weeks.

Our main topic today is the closer rule. The 2007-14, 1999, and 90s Mystery Game all use the closer rule. Every relief pitcher in these sets have a closer rating. Take a quick look at endurance ratings in the 2014 set and you'll see Dellin Betances with a R2/C0 rating and Joaquin Benoit with an R1/C4 rating. The R# is the traditional relief endurance rating and the C# is the closer endurance rating. These ratings range from 0-6, with 6 being the most frequent and successful closers. Pitchers who don't have a closer rating and only display the traditional relief rating are rated 'N' closers.

This closer rating is the number of outs a relief pitcher can go in a "closer situation" without being recognized as fatigued. However a Strat-O-Matic "closer situation" is not the same as a save situation. A "closer situation" is defined the pitching team having the lead in the 9th inning or later and the tying run on base or at bat.

Again, the rating refers to the number of outs a reliever can go before becoming vulnerable to being recognized as fatigued. After becoming vulnerable to fatigue, a reliever must allow a hit or a walk to become fatigued. If a reliever is already in the game and it becomes a closer situation, his closer rating gets reduced by the number of outs he has already recorded. Pitchers with an N rating are treated the same as 0 rated closer and are automatically fatigued in a "closer situation" once allowing either a hit or a walk.

(Thanks to MARCPELLETIER who noticed my errors in the previous paragraph. I have updated the blog with the correct information Tuesday morning 7/28. If there's any confusion, please e-mail us and I can clear up any questions)

Due to this if you're designated closer has a poor closer rating, he may enter the game already fatigued or fatigue very quickly after entering. Keep these rules in mind when selecting your closer. The last thing you want is a closer tiring in a big spot because he has a 0 closer rating!

That's all I have for this week. As always, please write in to onlinegamesupport@strat-o-matic.com if you have any questions. I'll talk to everyone next Thursday!

-John

Return to Garcia's Blog