Garcia's Blog XL- Live Draft

• Author

JohnG

Garcia's Blog XL- Live Draft

PostThu Sep 26, 2013 4:30 pm

Hey guys,

No Live Draft isn't here yet but it is getting closer and closer every day. Our team has continued to devote most of their development time to Live Draft and we are now just around the corner from being able to test it with community members.

As I had mentioned before some differences between our upcoming live draft module and the live draft feature used on The Sporting News site is the ability to use salary caps, better sorting and filtering options, the ability to draft the year of their choice for players with more than one card (ATG), and much better stability than the previous live draft was. However there are many differences between a live draft and the auto-draft that we currently offer on our site.

Although I'm sure some of our veteran users can put together a draft list in minutes, for many of us that can be a lengthy process. I know I've taken over a week before finalizing my draft list. For newcomers especially it can be a daunting task completing a full list of 25 players. Add in to this that you don't receive all of the players you listed and need to back to adding players through the waiver process and it can be somewhat frustrating.

When live draft is available, you will have the option of devoting a specific block of time to the entire draft process rather than selecting your players, waiting for the league to fill, and then completing your roster through waivers. Of course now you will have to adjust your draft strategy on the fly! Instead of having the time to comb through waivers for a suitable replacement player you will need to find the right player before your next turn comes.

The single best part of live draft however is the excitement of that one day- Draft Day. That short amount of time spent drafting largely determines whether you will have a team good enough to make the playoffs and contend for a league championship. Although you can still adjust your team afterward, Draft Day is the single biggest opportunity you have to build your team into a winner. Even for those continuous keeper leagues, Draft Day gives everyone their chance at getting that new rookie card that can put your team over the top.

We did receive a few questions on live draft from when I last mentioned it, mostly about features. We do not yet know all of the features but when we do I'll be back and be able to give a more complete list. For the time being though we expect the time between picks to last either 30, 60, or 90 seconds depending on league options, the ability for both 12 and 24-team leagues to use live draft, and a strong auto-draft option for users not present or when you need to step away. Of course, once the draft is completed your roster will be populated with the players you took.

That's all I have for this week if anyone has any questions or comments please let us know at onlinegamesupport@strat-o-matic.com. As always, talk to you all next Thursday.

-John

Return to Garcia's Blog