Garcia's Blog XX- Lineup Depth Charts

• Author

JohnG

Garcia's Blog XX- Lineup Depth Charts

PostThu May 02, 2013 4:28 pm

Hey guys,

Now that the 2012 Players Championship is just about half-way through the Champions League and the Barnstormers Tournament is in full swing (Event 2 leagues have already begun) it's time to start thinking about the 2013 Players Championship. Gbrookes will again be the Commissioner of the league and sign-ups will being shortly for the tournament. More details will be released in the next week or two but make sure to be on the look-out as it is just around the corner.

A question came this week about the lineup depth charts that I wanted to bring up here. First, remember that backups listed on the lineup screen are only for the start of a new game, they do not affect who the computer manager brings in during a game because of an injury. When an injury does occur to a starting player, the computer manager will attempt to substitute one of the backups (in priority order) for him at the start of a game. If the first backup happens to be in the lineup already, it will attempt to shift that backup to the injured starter's position and play the backup's backup. To illustrate:

Sample depth chart
2B: Chase Utley (backup: Freddy Sanchez)
SS: Freddy Sanchez (backup: Bill Hall)

At the start of a game, if Utley were unavailable to play, the computer manager would try to insert his first backup, Sanchez, into the starting lineup at 2B. Since Sanchez is normally the starting SS, the computer would play his backup, Hall, at SS, so that Sanchez can slide over to play 2B.

However although the system is able to perform multiple, separate shifts in the same lineup, it can only handle one level of a given shift. In other words, using the above example, if Hall happened to also be in the starting lineup already (e.g. in CF), instead of moving Hall to SS, it would pull someone from the bench to replace Sanchez.

The only exception to this is that the computer manager does not move a player off of the DH role.

Sample depth chart
1B: Paul Konerko (backup 1: Lance Berkman) (backup 2: Miguel Cairo)
DH: Lance Berkman

For example, let’s say I have Konerko listed as my starting 1B, Berkman as my backup 1B and starting DH, and Cairo as my 3rd string 1B. If Konerko is injured, the computer manager will keep Berkman in the DH spot in the lineup and skip him when choosing a new first baseman, which will be Cairo. If I wanted Berkman to start at 1B I would need to move him out of the DH role.

Other notes, our April lottery ran today. The 5 winners of a free credit can be found here. Also, our moderators have started this week. As you can see they will be posting open leagues that are close to filling so if you see one you like join in!

Talk to everyone next Thursday!

-John

Return to Garcia's Blog