Garcia's Blog Part VIII- Maximum Rules

• Author

JohnG

Garcia's Blog Part VIII- Maximum Rules

PostThu Jan 31, 2013 5:23 pm

Hey guys,

I got a couple requests this week asking me to write about maximum rules. Earlier this week I became aware that maximum rules were never mentioned in the the Online Game rules. All it had said was that "All games are simulated with the Strat-O-Matic Baseball game engine."

Now that is true, games are simulated using an improved version of the Strat-O-Matic Windows game code. Since it uses this code, it allows the Online Game to not only use the Super-Advanced board game rules but sprinkle in some Maximum Rules that the Windows game offers as well. As this was not noted previously in the rules we have added the following note under "The Games and Results" section of the Online Game Rules.

"Note: The Strat-O-Matic Baseball Online game engine is essentially the same as the one the Strat-O-Matic Baseball CD-ROM game uses (with some significant improvements). This engine allows the customization of many different optional rules, including those that take advantage of a computer's processing power to improve upon minor limitations of the original cards-and-dice game. Please be aware that some of the play results as shown on the cards may be slightly altered due to these rules. You can read all about which of these rules are being used, their effects, and the improvements we've made to the game engine here."

That link in the above note will bring you to a Wiki page which compares the rules used in the Online Game to those available in the Windows Game. Although the Wiki page is a little old and uses screenshots from Version 13 of the Windows game, those are still the rules that we use in the Online Game. As you know, Super Advanced rules are used including clutch hitting, ballpark effects, stealing, etc. Closer rules are used with all games except in All-Time Greats leagues. in the second screenshot you will see which Maximum Rules are used in the game. They are:

- Bunt for base hit
- Improve out distribution
- Improve baserunning realism
- Home field advantage
- More baserunning decisions
- Realistic throwing errors
- Allow extra pre-1920 errors
- Pitch-Around option
- Correct board game excesses

You can read more about each rule by clicking on the links above. Although these rules are in place, very few results are actually affected by these rules. In fact using all available maximum rules only affect about 5% of results. Since not all of these available rules are used by the Online Game simulation engine, there is even less of an effect.

I hope this clears up some information about these rules. If not, you can write your questions to onlinegamesupport@strat-o-matic.com. I did receive some more suggestions for the blog and will get to them in the future. Obviously my 2012 third baseman review has been pushed back, I'm sure to the dismay of many, but that will be a blog for the future as well. Of course, if you have any other ideas or suggestions for me please e-mail the above address!

-John

Return to Garcia's Blog