Live Draft Turn Durations

Moderator: Palmtana

Which of the following durations would you like to see added?

15 seconds
6%
30 seconds
27%
Extended Time Lengths
63%
None
4%

Total votes : 82

• Author

JohnG

Live Draft Turn Durations

PostThu May 08, 2014 4:31 pm

As discussed on this week's blog, we are considering adding more turn duration options to Live Draft.

Two quicker turn durations are 15 and 30 seconds. I will let the poll run through the weekend and by next week if enough people wish to add these two durations we will have it in time for the weekend after.

The other option is an extended turn duration draft. This means a draft doesn't necessarily have to be done in one sitting as it will allow a draft to be run over a number of days. Examples of these turn durations could be 10 minutes or 3 hours and would only allow drafting at certain times of the day. This is a much longer project and would not be able to be added to the site as quickly as we can with the shorter durations. Right now we are just looking to see how many people are interested in such a draft.

Please vote for any and all options that you wish to see added. If anyone has any questions on this or comments please let us know at onlinegamesupport@strat-o-matic.com.

STEVE F

Re: Live Draft Turn Durations

PostThu May 08, 2014 4:56 pm

The extended durations would allow a lot of keeper and theme leagues to use live draft, it would be great!

Scottbdoug

PostThu May 08, 2014 7:18 pm

Yes longer durations would be great.

mastermosser36

PostFri May 09, 2014 10:23 am

i think people need to lay off the "crack", and forget the "shorter" draft times. It seems like many of us are not drawn to the live drafts because of the few that are sucking down energy drinks like water and cant wait 60 seconds for someone to think on the fly.....

options are good, so why limit them anyway? do we really need a "poll" for this....just add them

STEVE F

PostFri May 09, 2014 1:15 pm

I did one 45 second draft, and will never do another one. I like to have fun while drafting, not play "beat the clock"! :evil:

Ninersphan

PostFri May 09, 2014 2:30 pm

mastermosser36 wrote:i think people need to lay off the "crack", and forget the "shorter" draft times. It seems like many of us are not drawn to the live drafts because of the few that are sucking down energy drinks like water and cant wait 60 seconds for someone to think on the fly.....

options are good, so why limit them anyway? do we really need a "poll" for this....just add them

What he said. Personally I have zero use for the current live draft function doesn't mean others don't but it sure seems to me thAt the community would be better served by a diamond dope/penngray(for us old timers) draft model that allows for the draft to take place over several days using proxies clocks turning off on depending on time of day and variable salary caps. This is something go the keeper players have been wanting for a long time.

mighty moose

PostFri May 09, 2014 5:06 pm

Even if we get the extended length draft as most people are asking for here, it still will be a barely acceptable upgrade with no mention of the other things that DD/Penn's app provided. Ability to cast proxies by round/group - having proxies drop off if a lower numbered selection in a "group" were played - I don't see the ability to draft a stadium yet - all those things we got spoiled on.

I don't even think that SOM understands the complexity of the DD/Penn app and has even hinted at duplicating anything like that.

Yeah, nice to get the 3 hour time between drafts, but it's nowhere near what we need. Also, a clarification from Garcia's blog - we don't really want the drafts to "shut down" during nights and weekends - just for the clock to stop. Selections should still be able to be made during the off hours for those of us that happen to check in.

We are still FAR away from this thing being on par to what we had before.

Moose

Valen

PostSat May 10, 2014 2:21 pm

Just code the silly thing where the league creator enters the number of seconds between pick and that number is used.
No need for the incremental settings then. If someone wants 15 they enter 15. If they want 30 they enter 30. If they want 53 seconds then they enter 53. If they want really long intervals they just calculate what to enter and then enter it. 300 is 5 minutes. 3600 is an hour. You get the idea. Should be easier to code and satisfies everyone no matter what interval they want.

STEVE F

PostThu May 15, 2014 4:53 pm

Great. Now we have 30 second drafts to drive even more new players away from this site. As if the 45 second caffeine fests aren't bad enough

Rjnewman

PostSun Oct 26, 2014 10:27 pm

Longer durations please.
Next

Return to Announcements from Strat-O-Matic