Wish list?

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

TheFlame41

Wish list?

PostThu Jan 25, 2024 12:24 pm

#1 - Mystery Card set for 2010-2020 - you have all the cards, just make it happen!
#2 - When a Mystery Card season has ended and you display the individual cards, could you put an option in the game replay to "Show Dice Rolls - Y/N"? The rolls are set, and the ability to go back to a game and see what exactly happened would be great.
#3 - Find a way to get more value added to pitching? In the Mystery Leagues, the winning strategy appears to be load up on hitting and hit more homers than opponent; would like to see the scales tipped back a bit to pitching so that they high-end pitchers are more like high-end pitchers and become part of the draft strategy again.

Thanks for all that you
Dave

TheFlame41

Re: Wish list?

PostFri Jan 26, 2024 3:46 pm

Expand on Pitching Value

In the 70s, I played a game called Statis-Pro baseball, similar to Stratomatic but not nearly as complex.
However, one of the things that they did was that the initial roll to determine pitcher card / hitter card was NOT 50/50.

Each pitcher had a PB rating of either 2-5, 2-6, 2-7, 2-8 or 2-9. The worse the ERA of the pitcher, the lower the PB rating.
A two-dice roll determined which card. If it fell within the pitcher PB, the results went to pitcher card.

So what happened was that the better pitchers had more results land on their cards.

Understanding that we can't redo all the cards in the StratO set, I have a suggestion and this could be tested on an offline simulation to get the exact ratio perfected.

Let's say that when the determination of pitcher card / hitter card happens, if it lands on pitcher card, then the result is taken from pitcher card.

If, however, it lands on hitter card, maybe it's rolled again with the results being final. If that would skew too heavily, then maybe a 1-4 or 1-5 randomizer with one of the numbers sending it to pitcher card and the rest going to hitter.

Thoughts?

Eddie E

PostFri Jan 26, 2024 5:24 pm

I am not sure of the best way to do this, but I agree whole heartedly that pitchers get hosed in Strat. A hitters card is all hitting results so the best hitters have at least a 50% chance of affecting the result. A pitchers card has 30 chances for the X chart which has nothing to do with how good the pitcher is. 30 chances = 9.2% of the pitchers card so the pitchers only have a 40.8% chance of affecting the outcome.

I feel the top 5% of pitchers should get a boost to their card somehow.

coyote303

PostFri Jan 26, 2024 7:21 pm

Eddie E wrote:I am not sure of the best way to do this, but I agree whole heartedly that pitchers get hosed in Strat. A hitters card is all hitting results so the best hitters have at least a 50% chance of affecting the result. A pitchers card has 30 chances for the X chart which has nothing to do with how good the pitcher is. 30 chances = 9.2% of the pitchers card so the pitchers only have a 40.8% chance of affecting the outcome.

I feel the top 5% of pitchers should get a boost to their card somehow.

Yes, pitchers have Fielding X chances on their cards. However, doesn't actually matter. You could put them on the hitters' cards, and it would work out the same. There are enough chances on the pitcher's card to differentiate between a great pitcher and a horrible one.

While the original poster indicates it's homerun-hitting teams that dominate (usually playing in homerun friendly parks), I'd be willing to bet if you had the same rosters and ballparks in real life, the results would be very similar to SOM. I've seen more than one good pitcher come to my Colorado Rockies only to be done in by Coors Field. So put a team in a homerun friendly park and load it up with more homerun hitters than is possible to do in real life, then yes hitters would dominate in real life as well.

The way to make pitchers matter more would be to limit the salary cap to 60 (which is possible) or 70 million. This would make it difficult to stack a team with homerun hitters without completely gutting your pitching staff. However, I don't think too many managers would be willing to have less money to spend on their rosters.

Return to Wish List, Suggestions for SOM