Injury feedback

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

dolin

Injury feedback

PostThu Jun 02, 2022 8:39 am

I would love to see a tweak to the game's algorithmic formula on calculating "games missed" once a player is injured. It appears to me that the length of time a player misses is predicated upon his ABs, not his games played or total plate appearances, which I believe would be a better and more realistic metric to use. The problem with this comes when a player's raw ABs are lower because he walked a bunch in a particular year. Case in point, I am currently playing the 1977 season and I have Reggie Smith. Reggie has an "injury 1" rating, played 148 of the Dodgers' 162 games in 1977 , but only had 488 ABs, because he walked 104 times that year...so he actually missed only 14 games in 1977 and accumulated a total of 592 plate appearances. My 1977 league has played 96 games of our schedule at the time of this post. Yet, Reggie Smith has now been injured twice and will miss a total of 25 games when he missed only 14 during the entire, REAL 1977 season.

If this change is made, a tweak that would need to be factored in is for the "period" leagues (90's, 80's) that have player's cards from strike-shortened seasons. I had a similar problem playing one season with Gorman Thomas' 1981 card. He played in 95% of the Brewers' games that year, but was constantly getting hurt and missed substantial time (43 games) for me because (I believe) the computer was looking only at his ABs from that year when doling out time missed.

Hope that helps, thanks for reading.

coyote303

Re: Injury feedback

PostSun Jun 05, 2022 2:19 am

The game is very black and white when it comes to injuries. A player either has less than 600 AB+BB or he has more than 680 AB+BB (or between 600 and 679). A player with 599 AB+BB has as much chance to be injured (and for just as long) as a player with less than 100 AB+BB.

Having a lot of walks does not hurt a player; they count the same as an AB in determining if they reach the 600 or 680 plateau.

SOM could certainly improve its game engine for improving injuries; however, don't hold your breath waiting for it to happen.

Another problem with the present system is it favors leadoff hitters who get more plate appearances than those players further down the lineup. And as you pointed out, players in strike-shortened seasons are really screwed since the game does not account for the missed games.

STEVENSTEFFANNI

PostSun Jun 05, 2022 9:11 am

A player with 100 plate appearances having the same injury chance and games potenticially missed as a player with 599 plate appearances is total BS PERIORD !!!!!...not only that Ive never seen a SP miss a start in ANY league ive played in and thats 27 and counting and the BS injury for pitchers is also a RP has a better chance of getting injured than a SP ...I have had a RP miss 3gms because of injury once...guys cry about how the RP system was changed for ATG 9 but nobody has a problem with guys with less than 250 plate appearances getting over 500 ABs

unctarheel

PostFri Jun 10, 2022 2:04 pm

If you can quantify all of the other statistics, it should not require rocket science to update the injury mechanism and make it truly objective. The antiquated system seriously detracts from game play and game accuracy. It's like driving a Maserati sports car that is equipped with the whitewall tires from a Model A Ford.

southpawcom

PostFri Dec 30, 2022 9:40 pm

I appreciate your analogy, but there is no Maserati nor anything close to it around here. There is a lot of old code and a handful of Richmans collecting our money, avoiding expenses, and thinking "business as usual."

paul8210

PostSat Dec 31, 2022 10:15 pm

I'm okay with injuries not attempting to simulate actual with a more complex algorithm, particularly in the Mystery format. Any player can hurt a knee any time no matter how healthy they might seem. That, to me, is realistic, no matter how much you have paid for the player's services. A more exact simulation of injuries takes away the "what if" aspect and makes the game less interesting.

Return to Wish List, Suggestions for SOM