Catcher pinch hitting glitch

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

tdkearns

Catcher pinch hitting glitch

PostSun Mar 22, 2020 8:46 am

I have repeatedly experienced a glitch with Hal where a catcher who pinch hits for another catcher does not take the field as the replacement. The game below where Darrell Evans comes in at catcher after Ashby pinch hits is prime example.
I’ll let customer service know. Anyone else seen this?

https://365.strat-o-matic.com/game/play ... 442915/732

paul8210

Re: Catcher pinch hitting glitch

PostSun Mar 22, 2020 1:14 pm

Yep. Here's subject line of email I wrote them on 10/24/19 about this problem. You mean they haven't fixed it yet? :D

Member: paul8210 Game Engine bug - Cater (non-catcher) replacing Pavletich in the ninth for no reason. Hendricks or Pavletich were available to catch in the ninth. Why overlay Pavletich substitution with Cater?

paul8210

PostWed Mar 25, 2020 11:21 am

Here's another email I wrote to 365 support for similar problem from last night....

Subject: Game Engine Bug, Defensive Replacement wrong when a more suitable player is available

Hi,
This is similar to problem I reported on October 24, 2019. Pinch hitter Clarke should have replaced an infielder at either SS or 2b. Instead, ninth inning infield replacement was a non-infielder(Harper/Green). I understand no other infielders besides Clarke were available, which explains why both positions, after being pinch-run for, could not be replaced by infielders, but, Clarke definitely should have played defense in the ninth because he was available.

I do hope this bug will be fixed.

coyote303

PostSat Aug 08, 2020 1:02 pm

paul8210 wrote:Yep. Here's subject line of email I wrote them on 10/24/19 about this problem. You mean they haven't fixed it yet? :D

Member: paul8210 Game Engine bug - Cater (non-catcher) replacing Pavletich in the ninth for no reason. Hendricks or Pavletich were available to catch in the ninth. Why overlay Pavletich substitution with Cater?

Interesting. Last night in game 6 of the finals, it put Cater in to catch for me. My catcher had been pinch run for and my backup catcher had pinch-hit in the same inning. It managed to use the pinch runner Jay Alou as a defensive sub; why couldn't it figure out to use my backup catcher? Maybe Danny Cater has a secret catcher rating!

paul8210

PostSat Aug 08, 2020 1:38 pm

coyote303 wrote:
paul8210 wrote:Yep. Here's subject line of email I wrote them on 10/24/19 about this problem. You mean they haven't fixed it yet? :D

Interesting. Last night in game 6 of the finals, it put Cater in to catch for me. My catcher had been pinch run for and my backup catcher had pinch-hit in the same inning. It managed to use the pinch runner Jay Alou as a defensive sub; why couldn't it figure out to use my backup catcher? Maybe Danny Cater has a secret catcher rating!

All the letters in Danny Cater's last name are found in the word "catcher". Perhaps, no ballplayer in the history of the major leagues can make that claim, but, he never did catch in his career. These bugs never get fixed because nobody on their fulltime staff wants (or knows how) to fix them and the company relies on contractors, who, of course, aren't going to be brought in just to fix these kinds of problems.

kenhutchings

PostMon Feb 07, 2022 5:20 pm

I had a recent experience with the same occurring; the backup catcher was inserted as the pinch runner for the injured Duke Sims, but Tony Perez was substituted at C. Fortunately I still managed to pull out the win. :)

BOTTOM OF INNING 7
SUBSTITUTION at CF: Matty Alou
0 F.Patek 6 Fly Out b-0 F9
1 F.Peterson 6 Pop Out b-0 F9
INJURY: F. Peterson for 2 more games
2 G.Thomas 3 Triple b-3 F9
2 3 J.Hickman 4 Walk b-1 F9
2 1 3 D.Sims 4 HBP 1-2 b-1 F9
SUBSTITUTION at PR: Paul Casanova
INJURY: D. Sims for 15 more games
2 123 T.Gonzalez 4 Strike Out b-0 F9
TOP OF INNING 8
SUBSTITUTION at P: Bobby Shantz (L)
SUBSTITUTION at C: Tony Perez
SUBSTITUTION at 3B: Tony Taylor
SUBSTITUTION at LF: Tony Gonzalez
SUBSTITUTION at CF: Joe Christopher
SUBSTITUTION at RF: George Thomas

paul8210

PostMon Feb 07, 2022 8:24 pm

Ideally, there would be a form we could fill out for software bugs and the issue would be assigned a tracking number, but, I guess things don't work that way at this particular organization.

Even a "yes, we know, but, we don't plan to fix it because the code is old and we don't know how to fix it and it's not something that affects our profit" would be a nice status update.

And yet when we buy the windows version of the game they have bug fixes and patches going in all the time with accompanying documentation of the fix.
Last edited by paul8210 on Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tdkearns

PostMon Feb 07, 2022 8:29 pm

Funny that this came up again. A few days ago I wrote again to SOM:

I wrote last year about this problem and it happened again last night.

Catcher is injured.
Back up catcher comes in to pinch run for the injured catcher.
When the next inning starts the back up is replaced by a non-catcher without the back-up being injured.
This is a programming glitch that should be fixed.

https://365.strat-o-matic.com/game/play ... 458495/100

kenhutchings

PostThu Feb 24, 2022 12:29 am

70s Mystery League.. It happened again last night

TOP OF INNING 9
0 G.Mitterwald 1 Single b-1 F9
SUBSTITUTION at PR: Larry Stahl
0 1 P.Popovich 5 Sac Bunt 1-2 b-0 F9
1 2 J.Beniquez 6 Ground Out 2-3 b-0 F9
SUBSTITUTION at PH: Barry Foote (R)
2 3 B.Foote 2 1 Base Error - 2B 3-H b-1 F9
SUBSTITUTION at PR: Danny Thompson
2 1 W.Stargell 1 Ground Out b-0 F9

My two catchers, Mitterwald and Foote, were both replaced by pinch runners, so the new catcher ended up being Danny Thompson (fortunately, I eked out the victory).

Return to Wish List, Suggestions for SOM