Steals

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

mburatti76

Steals

PostMon Jan 08, 2018 10:10 pm

I'd like to have a little more control over stolen base attempts. Something were you could say more aggressive to 2nd, conservative to 3rd, do not steal home. It's maddening how many outs are wasted unnecessarily to stolen base attempts to 3rd and home. Especially with 2 outs, your guy will steal 2nd then get tossed out at 3rd...why is he even trying to steal 3rd!?!?

joethejet

Re: Steals

PostTue Jan 16, 2018 8:04 pm

I totally agree and while we're at it, get rid of the pickoff rule which skews against base stealing PERIOD and is not statistically valid by SOM's own admission.

ggyuppie

PostTue Jan 16, 2018 10:58 pm

Couldn’t agree more. There are several areas where more user control and/or better logic would be really welcome.

Pinch hitting for platoon players
Prevent taking a meaningless extra base when your team is down 2 or 3 runs in the 9th.
Not intentionally walking guys with 2 outs and first base open, or worse, a runner on first. In fact, a better algorithm around intentional walks altogether. For instance, with 2 outs, 1 on, a strong batter up and an equally strong batter on deck, I want to take my chances with the first guy, not give him a pass and set up the possibility of a 3 run HR.

STEVE F

PostTue Jan 16, 2018 11:26 pm

Yes!! And if they cant get rid of the pickoff altogether, at least fix it! There are WAY too many pickoffs!

joethejet

PostWed Jan 17, 2018 1:25 pm

STEVE F wrote:Yes!! And if they cant get rid of the pickoff altogether, at least fix it! There are WAY too many pickoffs!

yes, the rule is simply statistically invalid and overly punishes base stealing without enough compensation. For example, there is NEVER an overthrow on a pickoff attempt. This is a very bad extra "feature" and should be taken out of the game. I could go into the math, but essentially there are quite a few * stealers who should be set to "never steal" because of the pickoff rule. And the 2 (20-6) guys? They REALLY should never attempt a steal.

ggyuppie

PostWed Jan 17, 2018 2:52 pm

Under the super advanced defense rules, isn’t it also possible to have a pickoff off a CATCH-X?

joethejet

PostWed Jan 17, 2018 6:00 pm

ggyuppie wrote:Under the super advanced defense rules, isn’t it also possible to have a pickoff off a CATCH-X?

Not that I know of, but I'm not *that* familiar with the computer game as I am about the dice game.

don117

PostSat Feb 17, 2018 2:09 pm

It doesn't make sense to me to have a lineup of, for example, Wills, Coleman, Henderson, Stargell and Triandos and have to choose between Conservative, Normal and Aggressive running. No right-thinking manager would want Stargell and Triandos to be aggressive, but, by the same token, most would want the other three not to be Conservative. The answer is simple: On the hitter's page, put another column for running, stating, instead of Do Not Steal, Normal, Steal more, put an option for the individual player on running (Conservative, Normal, Aggressive). True, it will be a big database change, but it's something I think is needed. I've had it with seeing Burgess (trying) to go from first to third on a single. Did he ever do that on a single to CF?

Return to Wish List, Suggestions for SOM